Issue with migrating files using Microsoft SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT) - Not all the items in the package have been migrated

Ivan Wilson 146 Reputation points
2026-09-29T08:03:59.88+00:00

I'm migrating content from a file server to SharePoint Online using the SharePoint Migration Tool via PowerShell. I've used the tool successfully on several projects. However in the last few days I've encountered a frustrating issue in one tenant.

The migration job completes and displays the message "Migration finished, all tasks finished successfully!". However, when I dig into the summary log, I can see that the counts for "Items not migrated" is not 0. It has been as high as 15,000 in one instance. When I look into the failuresummary log, the error code against each file is 0x01710009 and the message is:

Errors or timeout for Server Processing the file:Not all the items in the package have been migrated

Doing spot checks, I can see that many of the items were actually copied, but there are indeed some items missing.

Rerunning the migration several times results in lower numbers of reported missing items. However this seems like a significant issue that should be treated as a failed migration.

Have others experienced similar problems?

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | Other | Windows

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ivan Wilson 146 Reputation points
    2026-09-29T08:30:21.16+00:00

    Hi Darren, the issue is not to do with invalid characters, long file names or locked files. Those errors get reported separately if they exist.

    Rerunning the job results in fewer errors, even with no changes to the source files. I expect with enough runs, the number of failed items will hit zero.

    The current job I'm testing completes in 15 minutes, so it is not a large batch.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Darren Bruce 1,745 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-29T08:22:07.53+00:00

    Dear Ivan Wilson,

    Based on the error 0x01710009 ("Not all the items in the package have been migrated") and the fact that the number of failed items decreases after rerunning the migration, this appears more like a partial package processing or transient SharePoint Online issue rather than a hard failure of specific files.

    The reasons may from problematic files, when files with unsupported characters, extremely long paths, locked files, metadata issues, or other content-related problems may cause package processing failures.

    Review the detailed migration and failure logs to determine whether the same files repeatedly fail.

    Besides that, here are some suggestions I would recommend:

    • Reviewing the FailureSummary.csv to see whether the same files fail consistently or if the failed file list changes between runs.
    • Splitting the migration into smaller batches, especially if the job contains a large number of files.
    • Confirming that you're using the latest version of SPMT.
    • Comparing source and destination item counts rather than relying solely on the "Migration finished successfully" message.
    • Running the migration again to determine whether the remaining items are eventually uploaded successfully.

    Looking forward to your update.


    Note: Please follow the steps in the forum documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.