COPILOT LOSING ALL PAST DATA AFTER UPDATES

Juris Austrums 0 Reputation points
2026-09-29T06:44:39.3533333+00:00

Serious issue for me - COPILOT. Doesn't know my name, cannot reference any old chats, and I had stuff I had been working on for months (plus a MANY MONTHS of chats and research - I had it remember stuff.) When the app is opened I get the same popup - “Chats and content couldn't finish syncing. Try again to continue bringing over your chats and content, AND ALSO your daily limit is reached - even when I have not used the copilot yet. Need urgent help to restore all my extensive research files.

Microsoft Copilot | Microsoft 365 Copilot | Development
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Haytham-C 5,630 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-29T20:18:42.0766667+00:00

    Hello Juris Austrums

    Thank you for reaching out and informed us about the situation with Copilot. I understand that the shared chat is missing and you can no longer able to access it anymore, before we proceed may I ask?

    • Which subscription do you currently have? (Microsoft 365 Personal, Family,..)
    • Is your account a personal or a work/school account?

    In case you're using a personal account with a Personal subscription, please try this step to access Copilot history:

    • Go to account.microsoft.com/privacy/copilot and click Export all activity history on each version of Copilot showing on the menu, then the chat history will be export to a CSV file and you should be able to view your chat history.
    • Also please try access Copilot on the web then login to your account to see if you can view the previous conversation

    At the moment there are no official statement from Microsoft about this issue but there are many other users who reported that they are experiencing the same issue as you are. If you're still unable to check the shared conversation, please reach out to Microsoft Support directly since as a Moderator we do not have any tools or access to Copilot directly to view, modify or recover any chats or history on other user's session. If you are using a personal account, please follow:

    • Go to Contact Us - Microsoft Support 
    • Select Copilot
    • Click Get Home Support
    • Type a brief description of your issue in the search box.
    • Click Get Help and select Contact Support below. 
    • Go to the Products and services tab and choose the appropriate product.
    • On the Category tab, choose the appropriate category or an alternative option.
    • Go to Confirm. Look for and select "Chat with a support agent in your web browser" (during business hours) if available. Explain your situation clearly.

    I hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Juris Austrums 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-30T22:13:38.13+00:00

    I intend to spend all the time necessary today to work through these instructions to try and solve the problem. I will report my progress.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.