Group Calendar web part is inserted but does not render on SharePoint page

Jennifer Marshall 20 Reputation points
2026-09-29T00:03:31.7266667+00:00

Description

I am building a SharePoint site using the Microsoft 365 Volunteer template for our Community Service Committee.

I need to display our Microsoft 365 Group calendar on the SharePoint page because we need to use recurring calendar events. I do not want to use the SharePoint Events web part, because it does not support the recurring events functionality we need.

I am having a problem with the Group Calendar web part:

I select Group Calendar from the SharePoint Toolbox.

When I add it to the page, SharePoint creates space for the web part, but the calendar itself does not appear.

The area where the Group Calendar should appear is simply blank/teal.

I initially tried adding it to the existing teal vertical section on the page.

I then tested adding the Group Calendar to a separate, regular section in the center of the page.

The exact same problem occurs there: SharePoint creates the space for the web part, but the Group Calendar does not render.

I cannot select the Group Calendar web part or access its Edit properties pane to select the Microsoft 365 Group.

I have confirmed that I am adding the Group Calendar web part, not the SharePoint Events web part.

Request

Please help determine why the Group Calendar web part is being inserted but not rendering, and how I can get it to display our Microsoft 365 Group calendar.

In particular, I would like to know whether this is:

A problem with the SharePoint site/Microsoft 365 Group configuration,

A current issue with the Group Calendar web part, or

Something that needs to be fixed on the Microsoft 365/SharePoint backend.

I can provide screenshots of the SharePoint page and the blank web part area if needed.

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jennifer Marshall 20 Reputation points
    2026-09-30T16:41:11.8066667+00:00

    I am logged in to site information. How do I see if the site is a Team site and if it is connected to a Microsoft Group? I have logged in to Outlook, and the group is available and accessible. I believe our IT department created the site for me, and then they created a group in outlook. The group has a URL that we can copy and paste as needed. Screenshot 2026-09-30 093413

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Jennifer Marshall 20 Reputation points
    2026-09-30T16:37:24.7766667+00:00

    I am logged in to site information. How do I see if the site is a Team site and if it is connected to a Microsoft Group? I have logged in to Outlook, and the group is available and accessible. I believe our IT department created the site for me, and then they created a group in outlook. The group has a URL that we can copy and paste as needed. User's image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Kien 1,710 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-29T00:20:47.46+00:00

    Dear Jennifer Marshall,

    Based on the behavior described, the most likely cause is that the Volunteer site is a Communication site, or another SharePoint site that is not connected to a Microsoft 365 Group. The Group Calendar web part is designed for use on a Microsoft 365 Group-connected Team site. When it is added to an unsupported site type, SharePoint may reserve space for the web part without displaying the calendar or providing access to the web part properties.

    This would also explain why moving the web part from the teal vertical section to a regular page section did not change the behavior. The page layout is unlikely to be the cause.

    To confirm the site configuration, please complete the following checks:

    • Open the affected SharePoint site.
    • Select Settings > Site information.
    • Confirm whether the site is identified as a Team site and whether it is connected to a Microsoft 365 Group.
    • In Outlook on the web, open Calendar > Groups and verify that the intended Group calendar is available and accessible.

    If the site is not connected to a Microsoft 365 Group, the supported options are:

    • Create or use a Microsoft 365 Group-connected Team site and add the Group Calendar web part there.
    • Keep the current Volunteer site and add a Quick Links, Button, or Call to action web part that directs users to the Group calendar in Outlook on the web.
    • Maintain the Volunteer site as the public-facing site and use a separate Team site for committee collaboration and recurring calendar management.

    If the site is already a Group-connected Team site, the blank web part would be unexpected. In that case, please test the Group Calendar web part on a new blank page, using a regular one-column section and an InPrivate browser window. I should also confirm whether the issue affects multiple users or other Group-connected Team sites.

    I hope the information shared helps point you in the right direction.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.