how to fix Shut down option missing when I click Start button

ERIC SUMMERVILLE 0 Reputation points
2026-09-28T20:36:45.72+00:00

When I click the windows Start button , I have only two options ( sign out or restart ) . Where is Shut Down and Sleep?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Sleep and Power on, off
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. John DeV 170.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-28T21:15:21.36+00:00

    Hi, good day!

    I would appreciate it if you could answer the questions below.

    Are you using a personal, school, or work computer? Also, are you signed in with a personal, school, or work Microsoft account?

    When was the last time it worked properly?


    If you're using Pro edition, please try the method below.

    Press Windows key+R to open Run then type: gpedit.msc

    Press Enter

    Navigate to the path below

    User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar

    Find and double click the policy named "Remove and Prevent Access to the Shut Down Command".

    Change the setting and select either "Not Configured" or "Disabled" and click OK

    Close Group Policy Editor

    I look forward to receiving your update and I'm willing to collaborate with you till we resolve the issue. Do keep me informed by clicking "Add comment" below.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.