Issues with Windows 11 key in Microsoft Azure offered for college students

Evan Renfro 20 Reputation points
2026-09-28T19:29:51.38+00:00

I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 11 Home to Education edition with a key offered in Microsoft Azure to students at my college and yet I'm having no luck. When I try to change it in Settings > System > Activation I get an error regarding "can't upgrade your edition of Windows". (Image 1)

image.png

Upon research I try to use a generic Windows 11 Pro key first to upgrade then afterward switch from Pro to Education but have no luck with a error of an invalid code. (Also tried with the wifi off as suggested). (Image 2)

User's image

Then using some command prompts (admin mode) I saw the Current Edition and Target Editions (Image 3)

image.png

Finally I also tried to follow steps in forum:
Cleaning up the component store should resolve the problem in most cases. From an admin command prompt, please run: "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup" then run: "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

Which resulted in a non-completion for the first command and the second command says it completed but strangely the completion bar only ever got to 84.9%. (Image 4)

image.png

I tried reaching out to my schools IT with a zoom call and a ticket but they weren't able to help and recommened going to Microsoft support. (Also which isn't allowed on a school email and tells me to contact my school's IT) Which leaves me here confused and spirit broken.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
MR_MEOW 3,791 Reputation points
2026-09-30T03:14:42.68+00:00

Hello, It looks like the error code showing says that the product key has been blocked.

Please see error code below:

  • For hex 0x803fa067 / decimal -2143313817
  • SL_REMAPPING_MDOLLAR_PRODUCT_KEY_BLOCKED
  • The activation server determined the specified product key
  • has been blocked.
  • 1 matches found for "0x803fa067"

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.