I want to restore the original version of Copilot

Ozeilia Donnette Reynolds 10 Reputation points
2026-09-28T00:24:44.07+00:00

Subject: Request to Restore Previous Copilot Experience

Hello,

I am requesting the restoration of the previous version of Copilot that I was using before the recent update.

My concern is not that the previous version always agreed with me. In fact, it often challenged my views. However, it seemed to understand my context, reasoning, and experiences much better than the current version. Conversations felt more natural, and I did not feel as though I had to repeatedly explain the same points or justify my own experiences.

After updating, I noticed a significant change in how Copilot responds. The current version often feels overly cautious and repetitive, and I frequently find myself going in circles trying to communicate ideas that the previous version appeared to understand much more easily.

Had I known that updating could result in losing the experience and conversational style I valued, I would not have updated. I understand that products evolve, but I would greatly appreciate any option to restore the previous Copilot experience, access a legacy version, or recover the memory and conversational context that was associated with it.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Microsoft Copilot | Windows Copilot | Feature

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Norah-L 11,425 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-28T06:22:25.72+00:00

    Dear Ozeilia Donnette Reynolds,

    Thank you for sharing your experience and explaining how the recent changes have affected your conversations with Copilot.

    I understand that you preferred the previous experience because it felt more natural and better understood your context and reasoning. However, I’m afraid there is currently no documented setting that allows users to restore an earlier version of Copilot or switch back to a legacy conversational experience.

    Here are some suggestions you can try:

    1. Open Copilot and go to Settings and more (…) > Chat settings > Personalization. Confirm that Saved memories, Chat history, and Custom instructions are enabled. These features help Copilot use preferences and useful context from previous conversations.
    2. Under Manage saved memories, check what Copilot currently remembers. You can also ask, “What do you know about me?” and then tell it to remember any important preferences or communication style that is missing.
    3. Add a custom instruction describing how you want Copilot to respond, such as: “Consider the full context, avoid repeating points, and challenge my reasoning when appropriate.”

    If the experience still feels noticeably different, use the feedback option under a Copilot response and explain what changed after the update. Feedback is the appropriate route for requesting a legacy option or improvements to the current conversational behavior. You can also submit the request through the Microsoft Feedback Portal.

    Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators, contributors including external Microsoft employees cannot directly intervene in Microsoft product features or access back-end systems. Our role is limited to providing technical guidance on reported issues, requests, or ideas.

    Thank you so much for your patience and your understanding.

    Warm regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.