Windows 11 Home is too slow (Disk usage always at 100%, CPU also high)

Rob H 0 Reputation points
2026-09-26T22:09:25.3833333+00:00

I have a Desktop with a 2.9 GHz processor and 8GB of Ram, so well above the minimum specs for Windows 11. My computer has gradually been getting slower with each windows update (computer started on Windows 10), to the point where after an enforced Microsoft update at the start of September, Windows now runs so slowly that it is basically unusable. Takes 20mins to log on. Disk usages is constantly at 100% so few programs can run.

After trying the usual solutions I used the boot menu to 'reset Windows'. This means that I basically have a fresh install of Windows 11 on my machine, but it hasn't solved the problem. The computer is very slow and I can't even get on the internet because Microsoft Edge crashes whenever loading (prior to the reset I could get on the internet with Pale Moon, but that's now been uninstalled due to the reset).

After searching for solutions I have done the following

  • Uninstalled McAfee Antivirus scanner, One Drive and Co Pilot (these were apps that came automatically with the reset windows update but seem to use a lot of space and/or processing)
  • Turned off all app notifications
  • Removed some programs from Start up
  • Disabled visual telemetry and Windows Search (Connected user experience / sys main) from services
  • Ensured drivers and storage controllers were up-to-date from Device manager
  • Turned off automatic drive optimisation
  • Manually ran the optimisation and defragmentation.

None of these changes have sped up the machine. When I go into task manager there is always a variety of Windows processes that are hogging all the disk usage. If I try to turn them off, I am either prevented from doing this, or they do stop and another Windows process takes its place. After all the above actions, and even with no programs running. the processes that seem to regularly be using the majority of the RAM are (note usages changes over time, but these seem to be the main offenders):

  • System: MsMPEng.exe
  • MsEdgeWebView
  • Service Host: Crytographic services
  • Service Host: Delivery Optimisation
  • Windows Widgets
  • Microsoft Office Click to run (note - do not have Mircosoft Office installed on machine).

I've copied all the file contents onto a (much lower spec) laptop running Ubuntu, and that works fine, so there's nothing in my file system which is causing this slow down. There is no 3rd party software on the machine, so this is entirely an issue with Windows. I'm pretty much at the point now where I think I should just uninstall windows and run a Linux operating system on the machine instead. Is there anything else I can do to get Windows to work?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures
0 comments No comments

5 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-04T17:29:38.6466667+00:00

    Seems the problem is caused by Microsoft Offive installation. Try to repair Office installation. What exactly Office version do you have?

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Old observer 240 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-29T20:39:05.3933333+00:00

    Drive is in good physical condition.

    Please run Task manager, go to Performance tab, select Disk C:, and show a screenshot with high disk load.

    Check if the problem exists during clean boot. https://support.microsoft.com/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Rob H 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-27T18:49:49.79+00:00

    Update - I tried the AI answers suggestions:

    1. Option was not available
    2. Not relevant
    3. Already tried
    4. Not relevant (plenty of spare disk space)
    5. Got message saying: Restorehealth option unknown. I ran the scannow code anyway but didn't seem to find anything (reported 'No integrity violations')
    6. Not relevant
    7. Already tried
    8. Already tried
    9. This seemed to make the computer a bit quicker, but disk was still showing consistently at 100%

    I have found a temporary solution - increasing the virtual memory allocation through System>View Advanced System Settings>Advanced>Performance>Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory>Change. I changed the max to 24576 (from the recommended of 1875) and the computer is now just about useable, if still very slow. Disk now shows as around 70% in task manager.

    I'll try the CrystalDiskInfo next time I log on if I can download it (above checks took 2.5 hours, given speed of system).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Old observer 240 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-26T22:26:18.6866667+00:00

    Please check drive's health with third-party CrystalDiskInfo tool and show its window.

    Was this answer helpful?


  5. AI answer

    2026-09-26T22:09:50.2433333+00:00

    Given the reset did not help, focus on Windows repair and update troubleshooting rather than more app removals.

    1. Set the device to a higher performance power mode.
      • Go to Start > Settings > System > Power & battery.
      • For Power mode, select Better performance or Best performance.
    2. Check Surface-specific steps only if this is a Surface device.
      • Open the Surface app and expand Help & support.
      • If updates are available, select Check for updates.
    3. Restart the PC.
      • Go to Start > Power > Restart.
    4. Free up drive space if the system drive is close to full.
      • Windows updates can require significant free space.
      • Go to Start > Settings > Windows Update and select Check for updates after space is available.
    5. Run Windows image and system file repair.
      • Warning: these steps require administrator permissions and command-line use.
      • In the taskbar search box, type command prompt, then select Run as administrator.
      • Run:
             DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
        
      • Wait for the confirmation that the operation completed successfully.
      • Then run:
             sfc /scannow
        
      • Wait until verification reaches 100%, close Command Prompt, then try Windows Update again.
    6. If Windows Update is failing or stuck, reset the update components.
      • Warning: these steps require administrator permissions and command-line use.
      • Open Command Prompt as administrator and run these commands one at a time:
             net stop bits
             net stop wuauserv
             ren %systemroot%\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.bak
             ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
             net start bits
             net start wuauserv
        
      • Restart the computer after the commands complete.
    7. Check for software conflicts.
      • Perform a clean restart into Windows to start with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.
      • This helps identify whether background software is contributing to the high disk usage.
    8. Temporarily remove third-party security software if any remains.
      • Third-party antivirus can interfere with updates.
      • Before uninstalling, make sure reinstall steps and any product keys are available.
    9. Check the drive for file system errors.
      • Warning: this requires administrator permissions and a restart.
      • Open Command Prompt as administrator and run:
             chkdsk /f C:
        
      • Restart when prompted so repairs can run.
    10. If the PC still remains unusably slow after the repair steps, use the clean installation option for Windows 11 from the software download page.
      • Read the notes on that page carefully before using the tool.

    The most relevant next steps for this case are DISM, SFC, resetting Windows Update components, CHKDSK, and a clean restart. Those are the supported repair paths when a reset has not resolved persistent Windows slowness and update-related corruption.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.