Change Language Input not Working

Nathan Palmer 0 Reputation points
2026-09-26T14:06:24.7533333+00:00

Utilizing Windows Key+Space, I am trying to switch between English (United States) and Japanese. However, when I switch to Japanese it defaults to "half-width alphanumeric" instead of Hiragana. It also changes the language back to English whenever I switch tabs or open a new app.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Input and language
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. TaoLi 113.9K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-26T14:42:01.43+00:00

    Hi

    Win + Space selects the Japanese keyboard, but it doesn’t automatically turn on Hiragana. After selecting Japanese, right-click the “A” icon beside the clock and choose Hiragana.

    For the switch back to English, go to Settings > Time & language > Typing > Advanced keyboard settings, and uncheck “Let me use a different input method for each app window.” Then select Japanese again and try switching apps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.