A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
For Microsoft 365 Family, Copilot inside Excel uses AI credits, and some Copilot experiences can have different limits depending on the app or entry point. That matches the behavior where Copilot still works in Word or on the standalone Copilot site, but Excel shows "You've reached your limit for today".
Since Excel is affected in both Desktop and Web, and Office Online Repair plus updates are already completed, focus on these checks:
- Confirm the account is the subscription owner In Microsoft 365 Family, AI benefits such as Copilot in desktop apps are limited to the subscription owner. If the subscription is shared, Chat can still work on microsoft365.com, but app-based Copilot benefits are limited to the owner.
- Verify Excel is signed in with that same Microsoft account In desktop Excel, go to File > Account and confirm the signed-in account is the same account that owns the Microsoft 365 Family subscription. If other personal, work, or school accounts are signed in, sign them out, restart Excel, and sign back in only with the subscription-owner account.
- Check whether the issue is specific to Excel’s Copilot entitlement or usage limit Open Excel on the web from https://www.microsoft365.com/launch/excel and sign in with the subscription-owner account. If the same limit message appears there and in desktop Excel, the issue is not the local Office installation.
- Understand the likely cause Microsoft states that Copilot features inside Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other Microsoft 365 apps consume AI credits, and some experiences may have different usage limits depending on the feature and entry point. That is why Copilot can still work outside Excel while Excel remains limited.
- If the account is the owner and the limit has persisted for several days Contact Microsoft Support and ask them to check the Copilot entitlement and AI-credit status for the Microsoft account, because the issue is occurring in both Excel Desktop and Excel for Web with the correct subscription.
- What's the difference between Microsoft Copilot (free) and Copilot in Microsoft 365
- Copilot in Microsoft 365 Personal, Family, Premium, and Pro
- Copilot limits - Microsoft Q&A If I open Copilot from within Word or Excel, I get an error saying I'm out of units or credits. However, if I open Copilot from outside OFFICE I don't get that error and can use Copilot as much as I need.
- Co-pilot issues - Microsoft Q&A "I am a Microsoft 365 Family subscriber in India. I am getting 'Copilot isn't included with your account' and 'You're out of credits this month' messages. I understand Copilot is supposed to be included. Please help resolve this."
- How to add copilot in excel - Microsoft Q&A I couldnt find the copilot icon in my microsoft excel