Installing or updating Microsoft Edge on macOS
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
As shown above, Edge won't update automatically by itself throwing the error code "An error occurred while checking for updates: 9 (error code 0).".
The only way to update is to download a full Edge installer and replace the current install which is inconvenient. I have tried running the "sudo chown -R root:wheel /Applications/Microsoft\ Edge.app" command and reinstalling Edge but to no avail.
The issue happened when I clean reinstall macOS 27. So I am not sure if the issue is caused by the incompatibility between Edge and macOS 27.
Installing or updating Microsoft Edge on macOS
Hey everyone. I missed some important steps in my previous response. What worked for me is:
Please let me know if it works. I already reported the issue to Feedback portal.
Hello everyone. After digging a little bit deeper, I realized that the EdgeUpdater in "/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/EdgeUpdater" is broken (I think). Using the command provided by AI fixed the problem:
I don't know if it is a temporary workaround, but it did check the update successfully!
If Edge won’t update on macOS, I’d first restart the Mac and try the update again from Edge’s About page. If it still fails, checking that Edge has permission to update and that there’s enough free storage can help. As a last resort, reinstalling the latest Edge version usually preserves your profile and settings when they’re synced.
Since this started after the clean macOS reinstall, I would look at the EdgeUpdater installation rather than the Edge app permissions alone.
Microsoft has moved Edge on macOS to its own EdgeUpdater component, which is responsible for checking and applying Edge updates.
There have also been previous Mac reports with the exact “Error 9 (error code 0)” message where reinstalling Edge did not fix the updater.
I would check whether the EdgeUpdater components are actually present under /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/EdgeUpdater and whether the related LaunchDaemon/agent entries exist. If those are missing or damaged after the macOS reinstall, Edge can still run normally while automatic updating fails.
I also wouldn't assume macOS 27 is incompatible yet. If you can post the exact Edge version and whether edge://settings/help shows an updater version/error, that would help narrow down whether this is an EdgeUpdater installation issue or a macOS 27 compatibility problem.
Hi Marco Yip,
Thank you for explaining the issue clearly and listing the steps you have already tried.
Could you please let me know whether macOS 27 is a public release or a beta/developer build? Also, is the Mac using a VPN, third-party security software, DNS filtering, or a work/school management profile?
As a quick test, please temporarily disconnect any VPN or filtering software and check for updates again while connected to a different network. This can help determine whether the Edge updater is being prevented from reaching the update service.
Since you can update Edge successfully by running the full installer, you may continue using the latest installer from the official Microsoft Edge download page as a temporary workaround. Your browser profile and data should normally remain in place when installing a newer Edge version over the existing installation.
Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators, contributors including external Microsoft employees cannot directly intervene in Microsoft product features or access back-end systems. My role is limited to providing technical guidance on reported issues, requests, or ideas.
I also recommend submitting feedback from Settings and more > Help and feedback > Send feedback. Please include the exact error, Edge version 154.0.4258.37 (arm64), the macOS 27 build number, and diagnostic data if available. This will give the Edge team the information needed to investigate a possible updater compatibility issue.
If the error continues even on another network with no VPN or security filtering enabled, please contact Microsoft Support and mention that reinstalling Edge and correcting the application ownership did not restore the updater. Thank you so much for your understanding.
Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.