Windows 11 Pro applied to the wrong device

Sam Broderick 20 Reputation points
2026-09-25T14:29:21.0833333+00:00

I have tried to apply a new Windows 11 Pro license to a new PC.. Unfortunately it's not working, the problem probably cause by me buying it on a separate laptop and the licence bonding to that automatically. I thought I would get a license key that I could enter into the new PC ...

Error Code 0x803FA067

To confuse this further, my laptop was using Windows 'Home' .. And (according to my AI troubleshooting) Microsoft now thinks the purchase only concerns a Home - Pro upgrade and cannot be applied to any other device.

Nothing through the support on my Microsoft Account is helping me to get a refund so I can try again on the new PC. Everything else is sending me around in circles.

I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Alexandr S 106.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-10-01T10:24:53.9633333+00:00

Ah .. yes .. I've found it. I feel a bit silly now, ....

Perform the activation using this key.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Alexandr S 106.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-29T18:38:14.57+00:00

    If you purchased Win 11 Pro on the Microsoft website (and not an update in the Microsoft Store), then check the e-mail messages (including spam folders) on the mail that is linked to the purchase account. You should have received an email with a unique activation key.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Alexandr S 106.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-29T15:19:10.43+00:00

    Error 0xC004F034 indicates that "The license was not found or could not be used" due to "The user is trying to activate the PC by the KMS server or the key does not match". The partial product key does not show a unique key, but a well-known stub key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T.

    I then installed Windows via USB (no license included) and then began purchasing the license for it on another laptop...

    Please specify where exactly you purchased the license and for which OS (which edition)?

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Alexandr S 106.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-25T15:22:57.0533333+00:00

    Hello, Sam Broderick.

    If the Windows license was purchased as an OEM (pre-installed as part of the device), then such an OS does not have the right to transfer to another device (clause 4 of the EULA). It also does not have the right to transfer an update (not the full version) from the Home Edition to the Professional One, purchased from the MicrosoftStore (the conditions are indicated on the Store's page). Only the full standalone (BOX or ESD) version, purchased separately from the PC, has the right to transfer.

    To clarify the situation, post a screenshot of the command window here

    slmgr.vbs /dlv

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.