Third-party password manager (Psono) does not autofill in Edge on Android 16 / Samsung One UI 8

Janita Hovius 0 Reputation points
2026-09-23T19:31:25.6566667+00:00

Hello,

I am experiencing an autofill problem with Microsoft Edge for Android when using Psono as my third-party password manager.

My setup:

Samsung Galaxy S24

Android 16

One UI 8.5

Microsoft Edge 153.0.4234.49

Psono 3.3.6

Psono is configured as the Android Autofill Service

No Edge policies are configured (edge://policy shows no policies)

Psono works correctly as an autofill provider in Chrome on the same Samsung device.

The problem occurs specifically in Edge.

When I open a website with a login form in Edge:

I tap the username/password field.

Edge shows “Search with Psono”.

I tap it and Psono opens.

I authenticate in Psono.

I search for and select the correct password entry.

Psono returns me to Edge.

Instead of showing the selected password entry and filling the credentials, Edge still shows “Search with Psono”.

If I tap “Search with Psono” again, Psono opens again and asks me to search for the credential again.

So Psono can be launched from Edge and the credential can be selected, but Edge does not appear to accept/process the selected credential after returning from Psono.

Additional testing

I also tested this on a Google Pixel 5:

Android 14

Psono 3.3.4

Microsoft Edge 153.0.4234.32

On the Pixel 5, Psono autofill works correctly in Edge.

I also tested an older Edge version on the Samsung. In that version, the option “Autofill with another service” remained selected, but that version of Edge continuously crashed, so it was not usable.

The Samsung device therefore appears to have a problem specifically with the Edge/Android autofill handoff.

Could this be a compatibility issue between Edge 153, Android 16 / One UI 8.x and third-party Autofill Services?

Is there a known issue or a setting/policy that could prevent Edge from accepting the Autofill response from a third-party password manager?

Thank you.

Microsoft Edge | Other | Android
0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Janita Hovius 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-27T15:31:12.8366667+00:00

    Thank you for looking into this and for the detailed response.

    I have already submitted feedback through Edge on my affected Samsung Galaxy S24, including the issue I described.

    Since the problem is reproducible and the comparison with my Pixel 5 suggests a device-specific compatibility issue, I will keep an eye out for future Edge updates.

    If anyone comes across a workaround or finds that a newer Edge version resolves this issue on Samsung devices running Android 16 / One UI 8.x, I would appreciate hearing about it.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Alex-L 12,740 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-24T14:26:26.67+00:00

    Hi Janita Hovius

    Thank you for the additional clarification. Based on your description, the Autofill Service itself appears to be functioning correctly because Edge successfully launches Psono, allows authentication and credential selection, and returns to the browser. The failure occurs afterward, when Edge does not accept or apply the selected credential and instead prompts again with "Search with Psono."

    I am not aware of any publicly documented Microsoft issue specifically involving Microsoft Edge 153, Android 16 / One UI 8.x, and third-party Autofill Service response handling. I also could not find any official statement confirming that this behavior is known to the Edge Android team. The available evidence only shows that Edge has had other Android autofill-related reports and that Edge includes support for third-party password managers on Android.

    Given your testing results (works in Chrome on the same Samsung device and works in Edge on a Pixel device), your findings suggest a device/platform-specific interoperability issue rather than a general Psono configuration problem. Since you've already submitted feedback, providing the comparison results between the Pixel 5 and Galaxy S24 is likely the most useful information for the Edge team when investigating the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Janita Hovius 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-24T13:22:48.9266667+00:00

    Thank you for the response.

    I have already submitted feedback through Microsoft Edge → Settings → Help and feedback → Send feedback on the affected Samsung device.

    I would like to clarify one important point about the behavior:

    The third-party Autofill Service itself is definitely being invoked by Edge. When I tap “Search with Psono”, Psono opens normally. I can authenticate, search for the correct credential and select it. Psono then returns me to Edge.

    The problem occurs at that exact point. Instead of Edge displaying the selected credential and filling the fields, Edge still displays “Search with Psono”. If I tap it again, Psono opens again and I have to search for the credential again.

    This does not happen on my Google Pixel 5:

    Pixel 5

    Android 14

    Psono 3.3.4

    Edge 153.0.4234.32

    Psono autofill works correctly

    On the affected Samsung:

    Samsung Galaxy S24

    Android 16

    One UI 8.5

    Psono 3.3.6

    Edge 153.0.4234.49

    Chrome autofill with Psono works correctly

    Edge can launch Psono, but does not process the selected credential after returning from Psono

    Since Edge can successfully launch the third-party Autofill Service and receive the user back from it, could you clarify whether there is a known issue with the AutofillSession / AutofillService response handling in Edge on Android 16 / One UI 8.x?

    If possible, I would also appreciate knowing whether this behavior is already known to the Edge Android development team.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Alex-L 12,740 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-24T11:06:09.25+00:00

    Hi Janita Hovius

    This points more toward a compatibility issue in the autofill handoff between Edge 153 and Samsung's Android 16 / One UI 8.x implementation rather than a problem with the password manager itself.

    I am not aware of any publicly documented Microsoft Edge policy that would block a third-party Autofill Service in the scenario you described, especially since edge://policy shows no active policies. Microsoft Edge does support third-party password managers on Android via the ThirdPartyPasswordManagersAllowed policy when managed by an organization.

    Since the issue is device-specific and reproducible, I would recommend submitting feedback from Edge on the affected Samsung device (Settings > Help and feedback > Send feedback) and including the comparison results from the Pixel 5, as those provide a strong isolation test.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.