I had previously troubleshooted what is waking my windows 11 laptop, but it still continues. Please advise

Joshua 41 Reputation points
2026-09-22T20:09:00.0866667+00:00

Hello, I previously was troubleshooting what was waking my laptop screen randomly, and was advised to use various command prompts under the administrator setting, and that resolved one aspect, but it still continues. I have ran the same commands, but those commands do not seem to find what is waking my laptop.

(these were commands such as "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed")

I also tried power troubleshooter in the event viewer filter, and did not find it. I would like to ask if somebody has further advice. thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Sleep and Power on, off
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Joshua 41 Reputation points
    2026-09-23T02:40:37.25+00:00

    It appears that I still have one of the previous things waking the system, but also another:

    Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 1:59:12 PM on 9/23/2026.

    Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\HP\HP Print Scan Doctor\Printer Health Monitor' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

    I had turned off some processes regarding HP Print Scan Doctor, and may have taken other steps, but I do not remember all that I had done. I am not sure what System Events broker is specifically doing.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. EmilyS726 270.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-22T20:51:57.84+00:00

    "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" only tells you which devices are allowed to wake the computer. It does not necessarily tell you what actually caused the most recent wake.

    I would try these next, preferably immediately after the screen wakes unexpectedly. Please type cmd in the search on the taskbar. Don't press enter key yet. Instead, choose "run as administrator" to launch Command Prompt. Then run them one at a time, and share the results.

    powercfg /lastwake
    powercfg /waketimers
    powercfg /requests
    powercfg /a
    

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. AI answer

    2026-09-22T20:09:14.4633333+00:00

    Since powercfg -devicequery wake_armed is no longer identifying the cause, the next useful checks are the wake source history and battery/power behavior.

    1. In an elevated Command Prompt, run:
      • powercfg /lastwake
      • powercfg /waketimers
      • powercfg /requests
      What these do:
      • /lastwake shows what woke the system from the last sleep transition.
      • /waketimers lists active wake timers that can wake the PC from sleep or hibernate.
      • /requests shows apps or drivers currently preventing normal display sleep or low-power sleep.
    2. If the screen is waking but the system is not fully resuming as expected, try the built-in display recovery shortcuts:
      • Windows logo key + P
      • Ctrl + Alt + Del
      • For a black screen: Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B
    3. If the laptop is on Windows 11 version 24H2, check whether Modern Standby wake behavior is being changed by the new battery-drain protection. In that state, most wake sources are disabled, and the device can wake from Modern Standby only by pressing the power button or opening the lid. If wake behavior is inconsistent, review the device’s power behavior first.
    4. Run an energy analysis from an elevated Command Prompt:
      • powercfg /energy
      This generates an HTML report in the current path and is intended to analyze common energy-efficiency and battery-life problems. Run it while the computer is idle with no open programs or documents.
    5. If the issue is specifically that only the display wakes unexpectedly, not the whole system, connected input devices are still a common trigger. In that case, review mouse, keyboard, USB, and network adapter wake settings in Device Manager and remove wake permission where not needed.

    If the laptop is entering Modern Standby, random display wake can also be tied to supported wake sources such as keyboard, mouse, touchpad, fingerprint reader, touch screen, lid activity, or voice input depending on hardware and power state.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.