Adding a whiteboard in a Microsoft Teams

Lauener, Hansjörg (ILUB) 31 Reputation points
2026-09-22T04:43:38.3066667+00:00

Good morning

In Microsoft Teams, in a channel, i can (now) add an App and choose a Whiteboard.

As far as I see, this Whiteboard is stored/linked in my personal space on <https://whiteboard.office.com/> - I got from the institution.

Now the question: When I leave the institution, and my account will be deleted, is the whiteboard still available for the other co-workers?

Thanks, Hans

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Teams and channels | Other
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Lauener, Hansjörg (ILUB) 31 Reputation points
    2026-09-23T08:04:05.7066667+00:00

    OK, Thx. That explains it.

    This workaround is not a good workaround. I cannot introduce MS-Whiteboard.
    Question: when does Microsoft plan to implement Whiteboards that can be stored/added in the folder of the Teams?

    Is it just a technical issue? a fundamental one?

    Thx, Hansjörg

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Teddie Dang 1,365 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-22T04:59:58.67+00:00

    Hi @Lauener, Hansjörg (ILUB)

    Your observation is correct. When you add a Whiteboard as a tab in a Teams channel, the actual .whiteboard file is stored in the OneDrive for Business of the user who created it, rather than in the Team's SharePoint site. The Teams channel provides access to the board but does not change its storage location or ownership. Therefore, if your account is deleted when you leave the institution, you should not rely on the Whiteboard remaining available indefinitely to your coworkers.

    After the account is deleted, the user's OneDrive is retained according to the organization's OneDrive retention settings. During that retention period, users who already have access may still be able to access the Whiteboard. To avoid depending on the retention period, I would recommend asking your Microsoft 365 administrator to handle the Whiteboard before your account is deleted. Microsoft documents a process for administrators managing Whiteboard data when a user leaves an organization, including accessing the former user's OneDrive and moving the .whiteboard file to another active user's OneDrive.

    If you're unsure who your IT administrator is, please refer to How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin? - Microsoft Support 

    You can read more at Manage data for Microsoft Whiteboard.

    I hope this information is helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.