Azure for Students verification successful but subscription not provisioned

Ananya Rastogi 0 Reputation points
2026-09-21T05:49:09.15+00:00

My academic status was successfully verified for Azure for Students. However, when I click Start Free, I receive: “We encountered an unexpected error. Try again later.”

Azure Portal → Subscriptions shows 0 subscriptions under my Default Directory.

When I try academic verification again, Microsoft says that my account has already been used for verification this year.

Please help me provision/link my Azure for Students subscription to my Microsoft account.

I have attached screenshots showing the Azure activation error and the Azure Portal page showing that no subscription is currently available.Screenshot 2026-09-21 102348

Screenshot 2026-09-21 103014

Azure | Azure Training
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Senthil kumar 2,580 Reputation points
    2026-09-21T06:34:40.97+00:00

    Hi @Ananya Rastogi

    Root Cause :

    browser cache issue or azure directory issue.

    solution :

    • open browser in incognito mode login with your id check whether working or not.
    • In Azure Portal → top‑right → your profile → Switch directory. If you see a directory named Microsoft Services or Default Directory, note which one is active. Azure for Students must be created in your personal Microsoft account tenant, not a work/school tenant.
    • Go to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/free/students/ Click Start Free while signed in with your verified account. If the same error appears again, contact azure support.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.