Stuck with persistent system pop-up to review recovery methods

v j 30 Reputation points
2026-09-17T19:03:48.42+00:00

Recently and when signing into my email, the system persistently prompts me to review my recovery methods, even though I've done it numerous times.

How do I get out of this annoying loop?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

6 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. John Jefferson Doyon 89,190 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-18T20:35:27.3366667+00:00

    Hi John, As noted in my original question, I get the pop-up prompt after logging into my Hotmail/Outlook account. I don't see it now but I had included a screen print of the pop-up. It takes me to the appropriate setting page where all of the recovery methods are shown. Also as noted in my origianal question, I've reviewed the recovery stuff many times and still get this persistent prompt.

    OK ... I got another screen shot. See below. Like I said, I get it constantly.

    Hi, @v j

    Thanks for the screenshot. That helps. Since your recovery methods are already listed and current, the repeated prompt should not normally keep appearing after every sign-in.

    To narrow down whether this is browser-related or tied to the account:

    1. Does the same prompt appear if you sign in to Outlook.com using an InPrivate/Incognito window or a different browser?
    2. Does it also appear when signing in on another device, such as your phone?

    If it only happens in one browser, try clearing the cookies/site data for Microsoft/Outlook sign-in pages, then sign in again.

    If it happens across different browsers and devices, that points more toward the reminder being stuck on the Microsoft account side rather than a browser issue.


    Click "Add comment" to let me know.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.