Issue with Excel 2016 - copy and paste cells

Elisabetta Storelli 45 Reputation points
2026-09-09T12:06:30.7466667+00:00

Hi,

I have a issue on a PC where Microsoft Office 2016 is installed. From today, then I try to copy and a paste a cell, it doesn't work. If I try to copy text from Word to Excel, it works. So, the issue is linked only to copy a cell and paste it. I've already tried to run excel in safe mode, restart the PC, re-install Excel but nothing works.

Some advices?

Kind regards,
Betta

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

Answer recommended by moderator
EmilyS_726 30,260 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2026-09-20T15:26:25.2133333+00:00

Just to follow up -

Microsoft has released a corrective update.

For Excel 2016, KB5002665, released September 16, 2026, specifically fixes the known KB5002914 issue that caused certain paste operations to fail silently.

https://support.microsoft.com/servicing/office/hotfix/excel/5002665

One caveat: Microsoft says paste operations may still fail in workbooks containing conditional formatting. So this is a confirmed fix for the original issue, but not yet a complete resolution of every paste failure scenario.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

8 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Saad Jalal 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-11T06:58:05.6733333+00:00

    I fixed the issue using the following way. The issue is mainly because of the update KB5002914 and you can fix the issue in such way:

    Go to:

    Control Panel → Programs → Programs and Features → View installed updates

    Find:

    Security Update for Microsoft Excel 2016 (KB5002914)

    Right-click → Uninstall → restart Windows.

    Then immediately test:

    Excel → Ctrl+C → another Excel cell → Ctrl+V

    If normal paste starts working again, we've essentially confirmed the cause.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Abrar Razi 25 Reputation points
    2026-09-11T07:05:23.9733333+00:00

    Pepaire is not working, even i reinstalled after one day same issue. So please run this command to removed that causing update :

    Open cmd run as administrator and run the below command
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE16\Oarpmany.exe" /removereleaseinpatch "{90160000-0012-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}" "{27882596-A8ED-4382-9C71-6CD2DD19F732}" "1033" "0"

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
  3. Scott Alber 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-12T02:35:43.1866667+00:00

    I have Windows 11 and this worked for me on Excel 2016 Office Pro. I got this tip from asking Google AI " How to uninstall an Excel 2016 update?" It then asked what update I was trying to uninstall and I typed "Security Update for Microsoft Excel 2016 (KB5002914) 64-Bit Edition. Windows 11 did several updates on 9/10/2026. This one was specifically for Excel. After the update, I was unable to do a standard copy and paste."

    SOLUTION:

    Run CMD from the Start

    Once in the Cmd window run this and then reboot the computer. After you reboot computer, you will want to disable updates for Office or else Windows will "Fix" Excel again and, in the process, break copy and paste.

    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE16\Oarpmany.exe" /removereleaseinpatch "{90160000-0012-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}" "{27882596-A8ED-4382-9C71-6CD2DD19F732}" "1033" "0"

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more