Microsoft Copilot: Chat history disappeared after update – “Chats and content couldn’t finish syncing”

TH 80 Reputation points
2026-09-08T21:55:15.1633333+00:00

After today’s Microsoft Copilot app update, all of my previous Copilot conversations disappeared from one of my Microsoft accounts.

The issue occurs across multiple devices and platforms:

  • Acer Aspire 3 – Copilot app
  • Tablet – Copilot app
  • Copilot on the web

The same devices were tested with another Microsoft account, and that account still has its complete conversation history. This suggests that the issue is specific to the affected Microsoft account rather than to a particular device or installation.

There is also a specific synchronization error. When I sign out and sign back in to the affected account, Copilot displays:

“Chats and content couldn't finish syncing. Try again to continue bringing over your chats and content.”

I have already tried signing out and signing back in several times and checked the account on multiple devices and on the web. The result is the same.

My main question is: Is there a way to recover the missing conversations or complete the failed synchronization/migration of the previous chat history?

The missing conversations contain important information, so I would particularly like to know whether the conversations may still be stored on Microsoft's side even though they are currently not visible in Copilot.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Microsoft Copilot | Windows Copilot | App

15 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jaime de los Hoyos 5 Reputation points
    2026-09-11T02:15:13.72+00:00

    Finally, after getting the sync error banner for a couple days, today the sync process rann successfully and I have all my previous chat history available. I didn't have to do anything special. So, wait it out for a couple days and you should have your full chat history available again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. T A 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-09T17:42:47.3166667+00:00

    Same problem here. All my previous chat sessions are gone after yesterday update. Both desktop application and web application. Very sad.

    Seems like a sync problem

    Screenshot 2026-09-09 103423

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Greg Pogue 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-09T12:34:28.4333333+00:00

    After the recent Copilot refresh, all of my Copilot conversations from before the migration disappeared.

    Symptoms:

    • The banner states that "Past chats, Copilot Tasks, and Copilot Health are coming soon."
    • Clicking "Access chats and tasks" briefly loads the previous Copilot experience, which recognizes my account, but then automatically redirects to the new Copilot.
    • After the redirect, only chats created since the refresh are visible.
    • No pre-refresh chats are visible.
    • The issue occurs in the Windows app, web browser, and mobile experience.
    • I have verified that I am signed in with the correct Microsoft account.
    • The oldest visible conversation is from the day of the refresh.

    Please investigate whether my historical chat data is still associated with my account and whether the migration/synchronization process failed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.

  4. Sally Esposito 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-26T14:05:16.7533333+00:00

    All of my chats except for a few very early ones and a few images are also all still gone. Searching does not find any important topics. I have not gotten any messages about syncing or anything else from the app. I too had important history in the chats that is very much needed. What is Microsoft doing to fix this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  5. Iris 5 Reputation points
    2026-09-10T02:49:27.9066667+00:00

    Time is 10:45 edt - my chat history is reappearing. I did open a ticket with microsoft privacy yesterday as directed to by microsoft support yesterday afternoon. Check your chats and see if anything is coming back. Many (besides all of you) were experiencing the issues. I am also seeing the message at top of my copilot:

    "Chats and content are syncing

    They'll begin appearing shortly. This may take some time, you can keep using Copilot in the meantime."

    as opposed to yesterdays sync error.

    Good luck to all of us!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.