Outlook.com mailbox inaccessible – Error 500 StartupData – mailbox provisioning failure

Janine Wilson 0 Reputation points
2026-08-31T19:25:40.0833333+00:00

My Outlook.com / Hotmail mailbox (******@hotmail.com) will not load on any device or browser. I always get “Something went wrong” with Error 500. Error details show esrc: StartupData and BootResult: fail.

The Outlook desktop app freezes at “Adding ******@hotmail.com”.

I have tried multiple devices, browsers, networks, private windows, and clearing cache.

This appears to be a server-side mailbox provisioning failure.

Diagnostic IDs: reqid: 5f3d84d4-c1e5-2912-ea51-f7338e759694 cv: D8LB8Eh2mCRyTxNiMT8DeF.3.1.1 efe: L04P123CA0384 esrc: StartupData st: 500

Please escalate to Outlook.com engineering to repair the mailbox provisioning state.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Email
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS_726 30,445 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-08-31T19:53:54.5566667+00:00

    I think there's something going on Microsoft's end right now. I am seeing many people reporting this issue, but Microsoft has not announced this on their service status page. However, there's an active service incident report on the commercial side. It can be related. You can use Microsoft's X/Twitter account page to check for update

    https://x.com/MSFT365Status/status/2094465993007378744

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.