I can no longer copy HTML (cells, with formatting) from google sheets or excel into outlook.

Kate Flanigan 10 Reputation points
2026-08-27T13:39:57.3833333+00:00

I can no longer copy HTML (cells, with formatting) from google sheets or excel into outlook. 

I could before, and have been doing to for years. It's a significant part of my work day. It stopped working suddenly Aug 25th, mid-afternoon with no obvious trigger. I was using both programs continuously, nothing crashed, nothing closed, just working one minute and not the next. There is no error message, or lag, or indication that the computer received any input - it just doesn't paste.

It will paste plain text, but nothing with formatting attached. 

I have not lost this functionality on my personal outlook/google accounts - I can still copy and paste seamlessly, both on my personal computer and on the business computer (I have my personal accounts open in the same chrome window as the business google and outlook accounts).

I have not lost functionality on the mobile apps; my business phone can still copy and paste with no issues. 

Weirdly, I can't paste cells from the business spreadsheet into my personal email, and I can't paste cells from my personal spreadsheet into my work email. It ONLY works if it's personal to personal. 

I have tested every permutation of copy/paste available to me, none of them made any difference.

-ctrl-C/ctrl-V.

-Right clicking to copy and paste.

-Drop-down Menu: in sheets Edit: Copy, and in outlook Message: Paste.

-Macros to copy and paste.

I have tried (and did not work):

-Close everything and restart the computer

-Update the apps and Windows and restart the computer

-Selected "repair" on the windows app setting and restarted the computer

-Double checked all permissions for clipboard

-Reset Clipboard 

-Double checked that Outlook email was formatted for HTML

-Double checked that Outlook was set to "keep source formatting" 

-Tried Outlook in both the app and browser

-Switched to legacy Outlook instead of New Outlook. 

-Toggled on and off the Google Docs Offline extension

-Tried switching to Excel (desktop and app)

-Tried using Chrome, Edge, and Opera

-Tried it on a coworker's laptop

I think I have exhausted the Microsoft help forums, has anyone had a similar issue and/or have ideas on what else I can try?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Email

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Allan Solomon Mejia 10,305 Reputation points
    2026-08-27T21:20:22.07+00:00

    Hi @Kate Flanigan

    Based on the testing you've already done, I don't think this is a local Outlook, browser, or Windows clipboard problem.

    The strongest clue is that personal → personal still works, while any copy/paste involving the business context fails to preserve formatted spreadsheet cells. You've also reproduced it across Outlook desktop/web, New and Classic Outlook, multiple browsers, Excel/Google Sheets, and another computer.

    There have also been recent reports of Excel tables suddenly pasting as plain text in New Outlook. In one August 2026 Q&A case, the functionality stopped unexpectedly and later started working again without a local configuration change, suggesting that changes to the Outlook web-based editor can affect this behavior.

    However, because your issue follows the business account/data rather than the device, I'd also ask your Microsoft 365 administrator to check whether a Microsoft Purview Data Loss Prevention (DLP), sensitivity label, Endpoint DLP, or other information-protection policy was recently introduced or changed. A policy restricting copying organizational data can produce exactly the kind of boundary-specific behavior you're seeing.

    A quick isolation test would be to copy the same Excel cells into Word or Notepad on the business computer:

    • If Word receives the formatted table correctly but Outlook doesn't, the issue is likely on the Outlook/editor side.
    • If formatted content is also blocked or altered in other applications, investigate your organization's data-protection policies.
    • If possible, have another user under the same Microsoft 365 tenant test the same workflow. If multiple users are affected, that further points away from the local machine.

    Microsoft confirms that New Outlook uses a different web-based editing experience and that paste behavior and available formatting options can differ from Classic Outlook.

    Since this started suddenly on August 25 and you've already reproduced it across machines and applications, I wouldn't spend more time repairing or reinstalling Outlook yet. I'd first have the Microsoft 365 administrator check for policy changes and whether other tenant users are affected. If there were no policy changes and multiple users can reproduce it, I'd open a Microsoft 365 support case because this may be a service/editor regression.

    As a temporary workaround, pasting through Word may preserve the table, or you can use Paste Special/Formatted Text where available. Microsoft documents, Paste Special can retain the source formatting, although available options vary between Microsoft 365 applications and platforms.

    Please "Accept the Answer" if this information helped you. This will help us and others in the community.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Kate Flanigan 10 Reputation points
    2026-08-28T17:08:16.21+00:00

    Thanks, this is great. I am our Admin, so I have access to Purview, and it looks like you're right, they just did a major upgrade to the information protection system. Even the dashboard is new, apparently.

    Do you have any thoughts on which policies/settings I need to change or reset to get the functionality back? I don't want to play around in the security settings without knowing what I need to do.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.