Not receiving some Hotmail emails. If I have the sender use another email, then the action works.

Larry Schlueter 0 Reputation points
2026-08-17T21:12:04.47+00:00

I have a VOYA investment account. When I desire to login to my account, I need to receive a 6 digit passcode. I can have the code sent to my text or to my email. When I ask to have it sent to my email (PII Removed ****@hotmail ), it never arrives.

If I change my email address to another address, then the code is sent to the changed email address. It is never sent to my hotmail account.

What can I do to correct this issue?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Hendrix-V 19,650 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-08-19T03:58:54.1633333+00:00

    Hi Larry Schlueter,

    Since the verification code is delivered successfully when sent to another email address, the issue appears to be specific to how messages from VOYA are reaching your Hotmail mailbox rather than a problem with the VOYA account itself.

    If the issue persists after you have checked your Junk Email folder, blocked senders list, inbox rules, forwarding settings, and available mailbox storage, the next useful step would be to contact VOYA support and ask whether they can confirm the delivery status of messages sent to your Hotmail address or provide any bounce-back information. This can help identify whether the message is being blocked or rejected before it reaches your mailbox.

    In the meantime, you may want to continue using text verification or the alternate email address that is successfully receiving the codes so you can still access your account.

    I hope this helps point you in the right direction. Let me know if you need further assistance, feel free to ask me by clicking "Add Comment" or "Add Answer" if you cannot add comment so your response will be visible. Thanks for your effort.


    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. AI answer

    2026-08-17T21:12:17.0733333+00:00

    Since the code arrives at a different email address, the issue is likely specific to the Hotmail mailbox rather than the VOYA account.

    Try these checks in Outlook.com:

    1. Check the Junk Email folder and Junk Email settings. If the message is there, mark it as not junk.
    2. Add @accountprotection.microsoft.com as a trusted sender. Valid Microsoft verification codes come from that domain.
    3. Check the Other tab in Outlook.com in case the message is being filtered there.
    4. Check whether email forwarding is enabled.
    5. Check whether any mail rules are moving, deleting, or redirecting the message.
    6. Make sure the Microsoft account cloud storage and mailbox are not full. If storage is full, Outlook.com cannot receive email and messages sent during that time are bounced back and unrecoverable.
    7. If the account was recently flagged for unusual activity or temporarily blocked, some messages or verification codes might not arrive until the issue is resolved.

    If the sender gets a bounce-back or delivery failure, that usually means the sender must correct an issue on their side. In cases where only certain senders fail, asking the sender to review their sending configuration is the effective long-term fix.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.