New Outlook for Windows: Gmail changes intermittently fail to sync back to Google

Brian J 0 Reputation points
2026-08-13T14:59:59.98+00:00

I'm experiencing an intermittent synchronization issue between New Outlook for Windows and Gmail where Google → Outlook synchronization works, but changes made in Outlook sometimes fail to sync back to Google.

Environment

  • New Outlook for Windows: v1.2026.720.100
  • Gmail account connected directly to New Outlook
  • Issue reproduced with two separate Gmail accounts

What consistently works

  • New Gmail messages appear in Outlook
  • Emails sent from Outlook through Gmail send successfully
  • Google Calendar events appear in Outlook

What intermittently fails to sync back to Google

  • Deleting an email in Outlook → email remains in Gmail
  • Moving an email to another folder in Outlook → move isn't reflected in Gmail
  • Marking an email as read in Outlook → email remains unread in Gmail
  • Creating a Google Calendar event in Outlook → event sometimes doesn't appear in Google Calendar

For example, I can reproduce the email issue by:

  1. Receive a Gmail message in New Outlook.
  2. Mark it as read, move it, or delete it in Outlook.
  3. Check Gmail on the web or mobile app.
  4. The change made in Outlook is not reflected in Gmail, even after waiting for synchronization.

There are no sync errors, warnings, or authentication prompts in New Outlook.

Troubleshooting already attempted

  • Removed and re-added the Gmail account multiple times
  • Revoked Microsoft's access from my Google Account and reauthorized it
  • Confirmed Microsoft has Gmail and Google Calendar permissions
  • Verified calendar events are being created on the correct Gmail calendar
  • Tested a second Gmail account and reproduced the same behavior

Interestingly, the problem resolved itself for several days without any configuration changes, and two-way synchronization worked normally. It has now returned.

Because the same behavior occurs with two Gmail accounts and temporarily resolved on its own, it appears the issue may be with the synchronization between New Outlook and Google rather than an individual Gmail account.

How can I troubleshoot or resolve New Outlook intermittently failing to sync email and calendar state changes back to Google?

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Hornblower409 16,075 Reputation points
    2026-10-01T23:30:18.95+00:00

    @Jim L said

    I am going on day 3 and what i am hearing is just wait it out? Is that the best advice?

    I wish I could give you something solid. But even though multiple reports started showing up in late August 2026, Microsoft has not published any Service Health notice or "Known Issue" doc (that I have seen) as of 2026-10-03.

    Submit a Problem Report

    Every Report moves this issue just a tiny bit higher on the Microsoft Fixit List. That's all any of us can do for now.

    New Outlook for Windows In-App Problem Report

    • From the main menu: Help -> Feedback
    • {This should open the Help side panel}
    • Select "Report a problem"
    • Fill in the "Describe your problem ..." text box. (See below)
    • Can we contact you about this feedback -> Yes
    • Collect logs for feedback -> Yes
    • Click [Submit]

    Copilot suggest this as a concise problem description that you can copy/paste into your Problem Report (feel free to improvise).

    New Outlook for Windows: Gmail → Outlook sync works, but Outlook → Gmail sync intermittently fails. Message read/unread status, moves, deletions, and some calendar changes made in Outlook are not reflected in Gmail. No sync errors are displayed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.

  2. LMC 5 Reputation points
    2026-10-01T11:25:49.7733333+00:00

    I have the same issue that it is syncing from Gmail to New Outlook i.e. all emails are arriving as expected. However actions taken on that email inconsistently sync back to Gmail. Each afternoon anything I have deleted from Outlook pings back into my Outlook inbox. Most suggestions seem to be a POP/IMAP issue but you can't check these settings in New Outlook. I checked what I could and my account appears to be added as IMAP as needed. For what it's worth Copilot says New Outlook should sync deletions, read/unread, and sent email, but doesn't sync labels, folders and archiving. The most consistently suggested solution I have found is to revert to Classic Outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.