Office for Mac no longer recognizes OneDrive files for AutoSave – “Saved on My Mac”

Carina 20 Reputation points
2026-08-10T18:14:01.01+00:00

Since a few days, Word and PowerPoint on my Mac no longer automatically save files to OneDrive.

My files are stored in my company's OneDrive folder and OneDrive itself appears to be working normally. The files sync correctly between my Mac and OneDrive.

However, when I open a Word or PowerPoint file, Office shows “Saved on My Mac” and the AutoSave toggle is OFF.

If I manually switch AutoSave on, Office tells me that I need to save/upload the file to OneDrive. I can do this successfully, but after I close the file and open it again, AutoSave is OFF again and the file once again shows “Saved on My Mac.”

Details

macOS

Microsoft Office/PowerPoint version: 16.111

OneDrive version: 26.134.0713

OneDrive is a business/company account

Files are stored under: ~/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-BUSINESSNAME/

  • Example file: ~/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-BUSINESSNAME/FILENAME.pptx

Troubleshooting already tried

OneDrive appears to be syncing normally; there are no general sync problems.

I always open the files directly from the OneDrive folder in Finder.

I also tried opening the same files through PowerPoint → File → Open → OneDrive. AutoSave is still OFF.

I tested with a newly created presentation, not just existing files. After saving it to OneDrive, closing and reopening it also results in AutoSave being OFF.

I signed out of my business Microsoft account in Office and signed in again. The problem persists.

I checked for Office updates, but Office reports that 16.111 is up to date.

This makes it seem like Office is no longer recognizing files in my OneDrive folder as OneDrive/cloud files, even though OneDrive itself is syncing them correctly.

Is there a known issue or a way to reset the Office ↔ OneDrive integration without reinstalling/resetting the entire OneDrive setup?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For business | MacOS

12 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Andrea Confalonieri 5 Reputation points
    2026-09-04T12:47:06.4233333+00:00

    Hi,

    I'm facing the same issue. This is my configuration:

    macOS 26.6.2

    OneDrive 26.150.0804.0011

    Office 16.112


    I tried all the solutions that I found here and on other Microsoft relate sites. These can solve the problem for a limited time (hours), then it appears again.

    In addition to all these troubleshooting, I also did a complete reset of my MacBook, with disk initialization and a clean install of macOS. At first boot I only installed OneDrive and Office. As it did before, it all worked for a couple of hours and then the problem appeared again. So, don't waste your time in trying a macOS reset.

    I can't think of a more thorough and deeper attempt at a full system reset, so I think the problem should be solved by Microsoft. I hope that they could fix it soon because this is a HUGE problem in everyday workflow.

    A.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Scott 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-02T15:58:02.91+00:00

    I have the same issue. Was on PTO during summer, so i did not notice until early september. I tried uninstalling both ONe drive and Office 365, resetting completely One drive, disconnect/reconnect, the whoe package. Nothing worked.

    Interestingly, a roll back to a previous version from June 2026 did not solve the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Vítor Monteiro 0 Reputation points
    2026-08-28T13:51:25.19+00:00

    We are experiencing exactly the same issue on my Mac.

    I have already tried all the solutions described in this thread, including:

    • Reinstalling Microsoft 365 applications;
    • Reinstalling OneDrive;
    • Signing out and back into Office;
    • Removing Microsoft credentials from Keychain Access;
    • Resetting Office settings;
    • Restarting the Mac.

    Unfortunately, the issue remains unresolved.

    The main problem is that when I open Office files directly from the Finder, even though they are stored in OneDrive for Business and synchronization is working correctly, Excel, Word and PowerPoint do not consistently recognize them as cloud files. As a result, AutoSave and Version History are unavailable.

    At the moment, my temporary workaround is to open Excel, Word or PowerPoint first and then open the file through the application's Open menu, SharePoint or OneDrive locations. When I do this, the file is correctly recognized as a cloud document and AutoSave works normally.

    My current environment is:

    • macOS Tahoe 26.6.2
    • Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 16.112.2 (Build 26082125)
    • Microsoft 365 Business account
    • OneDrive for Business Version 26.145.0728 (26145.0728.0011)

    Is anyone still experiencing this issue with similar versions?

    Has anyone found an alternative solution or a permanent fix?

    Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.We are experiencing exactly the same issue on my Mac.

    I have already tried all the solutions described in this thread, including:

    • Reinstalling Microsoft 365 applications;
    • Reinstalling OneDrive;
    • Signing out and back into Office;
    • Removing Microsoft credentials from Keychain Access;
    • Resetting Office settings;
    • Restarting the Mac.

    Unfortunately, the issue remains unresolved.

    The main problem is that when I open Office files directly from the Finder, even though they are stored in OneDrive for Business and synchronization is working correctly, Excel, Word and PowerPoint do not consistently recognize them as cloud files. As a result, AutoSave and Version History are unavailable.

    At the moment, my temporary workaround is to open Excel, Word or PowerPoint first and then open the file through the application's Open menu, SharePoint or OneDrive locations. When I do this, the file is correctly recognized as a cloud document and AutoSave works normally.

    My current environment is:

    • macOS Tahoe 26.6.2
    • Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 16.112.2 (Build 26082125)
    • Microsoft 365 Business account
    • OneDrive for Business Version 26.145.0728 (26145.0728.0011)

    Is anyone still experiencing this issue with similar versions?

    Has anyone found an alternative solution or a permanent fix?

    Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Soporte - G&C Legal 0 Reputation points
    2026-08-20T21:20:43.21+00:00

    Tenía el mismo problema, realice las siguientes acciones y funciona.

    Reset completo de OneDrive

    Antes de reinstalar nada, haría un reset del cliente.

    1. Cierra Word, Excel y OneDrive.
    2. En Finder selecciona:

    Ir > Ir a la carpeta

    1. Abre:

    /Applications/OneDrive.app/Contents/Resources

    1. Ejecuta:

    ResetOneDriveApp.command

    Si existe una versión standalone:

    ResetOneDriveAppStandalone.command

    1. Espera que OneDrive vuelva a iniciar.
    2. Inicia sesión nuevamente.
    3. Deja finalizar la sincronización.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  5. Kai-L 19,920 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-08-12T15:52:51.6433333+00:00

    Dear Carina, 

    Thank you for taking the time to work through both of those steps, and I am sorry neither resolved it.

    To answer your question directly: yes, given that other users are reporting the same behavior, a issue in the current OneDrive or Office for Mac version does now look like the most probable explanation. Your testing has effectively ruled out the local causes, which is genuinely useful evidence in itself.

    This is precisely why I would encourage escalating it to Microsoft, as I mentioned earlier. A support engineer can confirm whether this is a known regression in the current build, and if it is, your report contributes to getting it prioritised and fixed. It also means you would be notified once a fix ships, rather than having to keep testing blindly. I hope this gets addressed quickly. If you do hear back from support, I would be genuinely interested to know the outcome, as it would help others hitting the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.