removed outlook.com account by mistake - how do I recover it?

Steve Seal 0 Reputation points
2026-08-10T07:17:46.5+00:00

I accidentally removed my @outlook.com Microsoft account alias today while changing my primary username. The Microsoft account itself still exists under my other email address. I need to know whether the accidentally removed Outlook.com alias and its mailbox can be restored.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Hornblower409 16,040 Reputation points
    2026-08-11T17:38:56.32+00:00

    @Steve Seal said

    I accidentally removed my @outlook.com Microsoft account alias

    If it was an alias that ends in outlook.com it can be added back to the same account that it was removed from.

    • In a Private/Incognito browser session logon to your account at https://account.live.com/names/manage
    • Click [Add email]
    • Add back your old outlook.com alias using the "Create a new email address". (I know, it doesn't make any sense, that's just how it works).

    User's image

    User's image

    If you can't make this work, please advise where it went sideways for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Estrella721 46,260 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-08-10T07:57:14.7933333+00:00

    Hi,

    Unfortunately, even if you accidentally remove the @outlook.com email address or alias from your account, the removal is permanent. It cannot be added back to the account or reused.

    Microsoft has published an article explaining this policy: https://support.microsoft.com/office/add-or-remove-an-email-alias-in-outlook-com-459b1989-356d-40fa-a689-8f285b13f1f2

    I took a screenshot of that part of the article for you. Please see below: User's image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.