Snipping Tool cannot open and Windows + Shift + S shows "This file does not have an app associated with it"

yess sirrr 0 Reputation points
2026-08-08T15:39:31.44+00:00

Hello, Everyone

I am having a problem with Snipping Tool on Windows 11.

The problem started after I installed a Windows Update and restarted my laptop.

When I try to use Windows + Shift + S, I get this error:ms-screenclip://?source=HotKey "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page."
I also tried opening Snipping Tool directly from the Start menu, but I get:
"This app can't open. Check the Store for more info about Snipping Tool."
I have already tried the following troubleshooting steps:

  1. Restarted the laptop.
  2. Checked Windows Update and installed the available updates.
  3. Tried opening Snipping Tool directly from the Start menu.
  4. Went to Settings → Apps → Installed apps and checked Snipping Tool.
  5. Used Advanced options → Repair, but the problem remained.
  6. Used Advanced options → Reset, but the problem still remained.
  7. Checked PowerShell and confirmed that Microsoft.ScreenSketch is installed.
  8. Checked that Microsoft Store Install Service is running.
  9. Checked that AppX Deployment Service (AppXSVC) is running.
  10. Re-registered the Snipping Tool package using PowerShell, but the problem remained.
  11. Checked the AppX Deployment event logs. There was an Event ID 404 related to Microsoft.UI.Xaml.2.8, indicating that a higher version was already installed.
  12. I also checked Microsoft.UI.Xaml.2.8, and multiple versions are installed.
  13. Microsoft Store itself does not appear under Settings → Apps → Installed apps, although Windows Search can find Microsoft Store and shows it as a system app.
    After one of the recent restarts, Windows also unexpectedly showed a BitLocker Recovery screen saying:

    "BitLocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed."

    I successfully entered my BitLocker recovery key from my Microsoft account, and Windows booted normally afterward. My laptop is now working normally except for the Snipping Tool issue. Could you please help me determine what is causing Snipping Tool and the ms-screenclip protocol to fail, and how I can repair it without resetting or reinstalling Windows? I would especially appreciate instructions for properly restoring the ms-screenclip protocol association and any required Windows components/dependencies for Snipping Tool. Thank you.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Microsoft Store
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ramesh 182.4K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-08-08T16:01:05.9533333+00:00

    Please open PowerShell admin and run the following commands:

    Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.ScreenSketch | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    
    Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.ScreenSketch
    

    Post the output here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Richee IT 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T22:32:13.7333333+00:00

    I also am experiencing the same issue, but slightly different.
    Microsoft Store is downloading Snipping tool and is stuck at queued.

    Same goes for some other applications such as Photos and Notepad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Richee IT 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T22:31:59.1366667+00:00

    I also am experiencing the same issue, but slightly different.
    Microsoft Store is downloading Snipping tool and is stuck at queued.

    Same goes for some other applications such as Photos and Notepad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.