Windows 11 Task Manager details tab completely blank - Fixed.

Norman Diamond 131 Reputation points
2026-06-21T22:07:36.9466667+00:00

For many years the details tab (processes) in Task Manager showed the columns I wanted. Some Windows Updates changed the selection of columns but I could change them back. But today in Windows 11 the details tab was completely blank. There was a scrollbar on the right and I could scroll through the blank list and it would still always be blank.

Some Google searches found others with the same problem and found some non-solutions.

Suddenly I got it! Not only did Windows Update change the selection of columns, but today it also set all the column widths to 0. I found where to position the mouse cursor and drag to widen a column. Did the same thing several times and found all the columns that Windows Update selected to show in 0 width columns. Changed the selection back to the columns I want to see. Again some of the columns were 0 width, so I had to find where to position the mouse cursor and drag to widen the columns I had selected. Success!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Thomas4-N 22,380 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-06-22T08:37:47.66+00:00

    Hello Norman Diamond,

    Thank you for returning to document how you resolved this. Restoring the Details tab to the specific columns you've relied on for years is exactly the kind of thing that's frustrating when an update quietly changes it, so it's good that you identified what happened.

    Your diagnosis is accurate — the update reset your column selection and, in addition, set the column widths to 0, which is what made the list appear blank even though the processes were still present. Dragging the borders to widen them, then reselecting the columns you wanted, is the correct fix. One small shortcut for next time: right-clicking the column header lets you re-enable hidden columns directly, which can be faster than locating the drag point.

    I appreciate you taking the time to write it up — a "completely blank Details tab" is alarming when you first see it, and this will help the next person who encounters it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.