I had a well optimized start menu for my usage, why did it change? and why can't i change it back?

OnlineMika Andrianoelison 0 Reputation points
2026-06-10T20:15:26.8766667+00:00

Hi,

I had this as start menu :

User's image

Displayed the things I need, with how I want them to be arranged. For the other things I might need, I can just type in search.
Now, I have this :User's image It is not well optimized and very cluttered for my usage now.

Plus, there is no known way to remove or reduce the "All apps" section, or at least resize the width of the menu, so that it doesn't take almost half of my screen.

Please give options and more choice for your users.

Thanks.

Mika

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Desktop, Start, and personalization | Start Menu

3 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. OnlineMika Andrianoelison 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-30T07:12:51.21+00:00

    Hello again,

    Just to update this situation. It seems an update finally rolled-out and made it possible to chose a size for the start menu, and remove the clutter of "All apps" at the bottom.
    See attached screenshots :

    The "restored" start menu :
    Screenshot 2026-09-30 100510

    The related settings :

    Screenshot 2026-09-30 100456

    So, solved I guess, at least for now :)

    Have a nice day and thanks to all those who helped and answered here.

    [moderator's note: PII removed]

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. MUSTAFA SALAH 1,895 Reputation points
    2026-06-11T08:49:18.99+00:00

    Hello OnlineMika Andrianoelison,

    I do recommend to check the below settings:

    User's image


    Additionally there is advanced settings you can configure at Registry Editor (But be careful):

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

    Best Regards,

    M.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Vikki-T 11,350 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-06-11T08:42:13+00:00

    Note: For your privacy and security, I have covered the personal information included in your post. Please avoid sharing any personal or sensitive information publicly, such as serial numbers, order details, email addresses, phone numbers, or case-related information.


    Hi OnlineMika Andrianoelison,

    I understand why this feels frustrating. From your screenshots, it looks like your Start menu changed from a more compact pinned-app layout to the newer Windows 11 Start experience, where Pinned and All apps can appear in the same scrollable menu.

    At the moment, Windows 11 does not always provide a supported option to restore the exact previous Start menu layout or manually resize the Start menu width in the same way some users would like. However, you can try reducing the visual clutter with these settings:

    • Open Settings > Personalization > Start.
    • If available, choose More pins to give more space to pinned items.
    • Turn off options such as: Show recently added apps; Show most used apps; Show recommendations for tips, shortcuts, new apps, and more; Show recently opened items in Start, Jump Lists, and File Explorer if you do not want recent files shown.
    • In the Start menu, check the All section view option and try switching between Category, Grid, or List to see which layout feels less cluttered.
    • You can also rearrange pinned apps or group related pinned apps into folders to make the top area easier to use.

    Since your main concern is about having more control, such as hiding or reducing the All apps section and resizing the Start menu, I would also recommend sending this through Feedback Hub by pressing Windows + F. Feedback sent there is the best way to let the Windows team know that users want more Start menu layout choices.

    If the change appeared immediately after a recent Windows update, you can check Settings > Windows Update > Update history > Uninstall updates to see whether rollback is available. Please note that this may only be temporary, as the same Start menu experience may return with future updates.

    While my initial response may not fully resolve the issue, I truly appreciate your cooperation as we work together toward identifying the most effective solution. Thank you so much for your understanding.  


    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread. 

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.