Fixing the caption numbering

Yolanda Thomas 5 Reputation points
2026-06-01T23:05:38.63+00:00

How do you fix the caption numbering when your next figure capture is not the next in the sequence?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For business | Windows

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Stefan Blom 353.8K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-06-03T18:30:52.3066667+00:00

    Captions added to wrapped objects will be inside text boxes. The SEQ fields that provide the caption numbering will be incremented based on the relative location of text box anchors. You can drag & drop the text box anchors into the correct places and then update the SEQ fields. See also Charles's linked articles.

    Long-term, inserting your objects as in line with text objects, making them behave as (large) text characters, and putting the caption in the following text para, will simplify the caption numbering. With everything in the text layer, numbering is definitely going to be more easy to manage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Charles Kenyon 171.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-06-03T15:12:53.68+00:00

    It is next in the sequence that Word is seeing. Captions use the SEQ field for numbering.

    Captions can be hidden behind figures in textboxes.

    Captions can be visible but anchored to a paragraph out of order.

    Use the selection pane to sort things out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. SuzanH 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-27T05:16:42.8033333+00:00

    I have this same problem and it keeps coming back. I have seen one of the replies that says change to "In Line with Text" before inserting the caption. My captions (70+) are already done, it's the jumping around (I think I've resolved with the anchors). But if they are not numbered in order and are already there, can I turn them back to "Inline with Text"? I have been working on a friend's book for weeks and the captions are the most difficulty I have had. (Apart from my short-term memory!) I have asked AI, but they have never given me a way that works. I am running Windows 11, Office 2024 (recently updated). Thanks for your help. Suzan

    Was this answer helpful?