Missing drivers trying to install Win10

Margaret Foster 20 Reputation points
2026-05-25T09:23:10.4666667+00:00

To all the clever techs out there I need help

I downloaded the Win10 media install and I keep getting the message 'No signed device drivers were found' make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers.

I removed a 500GB hard drive from another laptop which I had some files on so I have done a reformat and am trying to replace the 120GB hard drive with it.

I made a drive recovery but that gives the same message 'No signed device drivers were found' I'm getting very stressed here, I'm 81 and really don't know what I can try or where I can get the problem drive from or what the name of it is.

I can still use the laptop using the 120GB hard drive but it fills up pretty quick so any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. DaveM121 937K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-05-25T09:58:39.42+00:00

    If you are unable to see the drive to install Windows onto and if you have a modern Intel processor on your PC, you need to go to the support page for your PC on the manufacturers website.

    From the chipset section, download the installer for the Intel RST drivers.

    Extract out the drivers from that installer and put them into a new folder on your bootable USB.

    When you reach the part of the installation where you cannot see the drive, click 'Load Driver', then select one of those Intel RST drivers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Margaret Foster 20 Reputation points
    2026-05-25T10:38:19.16+00:00

    I have already downloaded the media install from M/s, I am now waiting to see if HP can direct me to the driver I;m missing

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. AI answer

    2026-05-25T09:23:27.02+00:00

    The message “No signed device drivers were found” during Windows 10 setup usually means Windows Setup cannot see a required storage/USB controller driver on the PC, or the installation media/USB itself has an issue.

    Try these steps in order:

    1. Recreate the Windows 10 installation USB
      • On a working PC, download and recreate the Windows 10 installation media using the official Media Creation Tool.
      • Use a different USB stick if possible.
      • Plug this USB into a USB 2.0 port (if available) on the laptop and boot from it again.
    2. Move the USB to a different port during setup
      • When the error appears, remove the USB installer, wait a few seconds, then plug it into a different USB port and click Back, then Next again.
      • This can help if the original port needs a driver that is not included.
    3. Check for missing storage (disk) drivers
      • If Windows Setup cannot see the 500 GB drive properly, the laptop might need a storage/RAID driver.
      • On another PC, download the storage/SATA/RAID driver for that laptop from the laptop manufacturer’s support site and extract it to a separate USB drive.
      • Start Windows Setup again. When the “No signed device drivers were found” message appears, choose the option to load a driver and point it to the second USB drive.
      • If the correct driver is present, the disk should then appear and setup can continue.
    4. Add drivers using pnputil (advanced)
      • If setup is running but cannot see the disk or controller, drivers can be injected from a USB:
        1. On another PC, download and unzip the needed drivers so that the .inf files are in the root of a USB drive (not inside subfolders).
        2. On the laptop, boot to Windows Setup until the first screen appears.
        3. Press Shift + F10 to open Command Prompt.
        4. Run diskpart, then list volume to find the USB drive letter.
        5. Close DiskPart, then run: pnputil /add-driver <USBDriveLetter>:\*.inf
        6. Optionally run pnputil /scan-devices.
        7. Close Command Prompt and continue setup; the disk should now be visible if the correct driver was added.
    5. Verify the disk is detected by BIOS/UEFI
      • Enter the laptop’s BIOS/UEFI setup and confirm the 500 GB drive is listed.
      • If it is not listed there, the issue is hardware (cable/connector/drive) rather than drivers.

    If, after these steps, the error persists and the 120 GB drive still works fine, the 500 GB drive or its connection may be faulty and should be checked or replaced.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.