Bert,
You are making yourself confused.
Beta is 26220
Dev/Experimental is 25H2 - 26300
Canary/Experimental is 26H1 - 28020
Canary/Future is 295xx
Release Preview is 26100 or 26200.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
In spite of Microsoft's claim that they simplified the Windows Insider program, the extra settings now available are ambiguous, to me at least.
I go so settings > system > windows update > windows insider program.
It is now correctly set to Beta, which is the channel I belonged to before the Insider Program change a couple of Fridays ago. Cool.
Except that now, there's a new "advanced options" pulldown. I click on that and it gives more settings.
The first new set of options consists of 25H2, 26H1, or "future platforms." Choosing 26H1 supposedly gives you changes targeting the 26H1 build, even though that build technically is limited to Android or other such OS. So I clicked on that.
Not sure what "future platforms" refers to, as the Beta channel I thought was dedicated to Windows new developments, not other platforms. But whatever.
Next under that, there's a switch "show release preview."
??? As opposed to what? Aren't all Insider channels supposed to "show release preview"? If you do not turn that switch on, then what are you seeing? The public build? Or does that switch mean that I'm seeing the same version of Windows as the Release Preview Channel?
Confused. Anyone have an idea what Microsoft has in mind here? Thanks!!
Bert,
You are making yourself confused.
Beta is 26220
Dev/Experimental is 25H2 - 26300
Canary/Experimental is 26H1 - 28020
Canary/Future is 295xx
Release Preview is 26100 or 26200.
Bert,
That Blog was written by Alex Oot, a new
member of the MS Insider Team.
It is not AI.
Whoa, is that AI response ever confusing, eh?
The explanation seems to say that by choosing 26H1 and also "release preview," I'm seeing simultaneously whatever the newest 26H1 changes are and the much more conservative changes of the Release Preview channel.
How is that not contradictory?
Hi Bert,
Blogs are posted for a reason and it
helps to read them.
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2026/04/10/improving-your-windows-insider-experience/
AI answer
The new options reflect Microsoft’s move to split Insider content by both channel and target release/platform, not just by channel.
From the context provided:
This is why the UI talks about both the Beta channel and additional choices like 26H1 and Show release preview: the first sets the channel, the others refine which milestone/platform and how close to final the builds should be.
References: