Lag in displaying text when typing in Outlook classic

Helen GE 30 Reputation points
2026-05-14T09:59:26.8933333+00:00

As of today, 14 May 2026 (and since the last two Windows updates), I'm experiencing lag when typing text and clicking on any commands in Outlook Classic. I've disabled add-ons, and I've disabled predicting text when typing. The problem happens whether I'm using HTML or plain text for the email. There was zero lag prior to the Windows updates being installed. Is this another known MS Windows/Office/Outlook problem? How can I fix it?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Hornblower409 16,200 Reputation points
2026-05-15T06:09:54.5133333+00:00

@Helen GE

The Q&A Assist Answer is total garbage. It is telling you about a problem with Classic Outlook from 2025. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/cpu-spikes-when-typing-in-classic-outlook-for-windows-992d8cfd-ba48-4d7b-9d57-e27a903aea23

1 -- But the "CPU Spikes" is a possible clue. If you open the Windows Task Manager and leave it open while you are using Outlook. Do you see the "CPU" usage jump up when Outlook goes wonky?

User's image

2 -- You can try running Outlook in Safe Mode. Does that make any difference?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/open-outlook-in-safe-mode-f394c2ee-b2af-e97a-64ee-35cd24414811

3 -- What is your Outlook Version? (Current is 2604 or higher)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/what-version-of-outlook-do-i-have-b3a9568c-edb5-42b9-9825-d48d82b2257c

4 - What Windows Version did you get updated to?
Settings > Windows Update > Update history

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.