My account has been completely compromised.

Eymen Yılmaz 5 Reputation points
2026-05-11T13:49:58.7466667+00:00

Last Saturday, around 8 PM, I was going to play Minecraft. As usual, I was supposed to be logged into my Microsoft account, but it asked me to log in again. I tried to log in and saw that my Hotmail account had been changed to a strange name. When I tried to change the password, I had to enter the full name of another unfamiliar email address (like [email protected], [email protected]). Of course, my password had also been changed. My usual Hotmail account says it can't be found. I thought the account had been deleted, but I learned that a nickname had been assigned to it. I've been trying to fix this for two days. But Microsoft told me that my account has been compromised beyond repair. They advised me to create a new account. But that account is old, and I had progressed a lot in the games on it. Please do everything you can, I want my account back.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

2 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-05-11T13:50:15.1266667+00:00

    Based on the described situation and the guidance already received from Microsoft, a fully compromised personal Microsoft account where the attacker has changed the primary aliases, password, and security info can reach a state where it is not recoverable.

    For consumer Microsoft accounts (including Outlook.com/Hotmail and game entitlements like Minecraft), recovery is handled only through the automated account recovery and compromise flows. If those systems determine that ownership cannot be verified, support cannot override them or manually restore access, even if the account is old or has significant game progress.

    The only supported options in this scenario are:

    1. Use the official hacked/compromised account flow one more time
      • Go to the hacked-account helper and follow the steps in How to recover a hacked or compromised Microsoft account. This may direct to the account recovery form.
      • When using the recovery form, provide as much accurate historical information as possible (old passwords, subject lines of emails, contacts, etc.) as described in the referenced Q&A guidance. If the automated system still rejects the request, the account cannot be restored.
    2. If the account is deemed unrecoverable
      • Follow the advice already given by Microsoft Support: create a new Microsoft account.
      • Use that new account going forward for Outlook.com/Hotmail and for games.
      • For Minecraft or other games, check with the specific game’s support (for example, Minecraft Support) to see if they offer any independent options for transferring or recovering entitlements; however, the context indicates there is no guarantee that Minecraft progress or licenses can be recovered once the Microsoft account itself is lost.
    3. Protect the new account and other services
      • Run a full malware/antivirus scan on all devices used with the old account before signing in with the new one, as recommended in How to recover a hacked or compromised Microsoft account.
      • Enable strong security on the new account (strong password, up-to-date security info, and multi-factor authentication where available).
      • Inform contacts that the old email address is compromised so they can ignore any suspicious messages.

    If the automated recovery and hacked-account flows have already been completed and Microsoft has confirmed the account is “compromised beyond repair,” there is no supported way to force recovery of that specific Microsoft account or its associated game progress.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

  2. DaveM121 937.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-05-11T14:23:43.0033333+00:00

    I wish I had better news, but when a Microsoft account is hacked, if the hackers change the associated data like the Email, then that account is usually no longer recoverable, this forum is just a user to user account and no-one here has any account access, try using the process they provide on this link to recover a hacked account, if this process is not successful, sadly, that account cannot be recovered.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/how-to-recover-a-hacked-or-compromised-microsoft-account-24ca907d-bcdf-a44b-4656-47f0cd89c245

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.