Unable to import photos from my iPad to my laptop using Microsoft Photos via a cable

Jasmine 40 Reputation points
2026-04-17T10:25:34.55+00:00

Originally, when I tried to transfer photos from one device to another, I would be able to do it straight from the files, however due to a new update I know have to go through Microsoft Photos. Ever since this update, I have not been able to successfully upload my photos and videos without some sort of problem that takes me hours to fix.

Whenever I try to transfer my photos and videos from my iPad to my laptop, using Microsoft Photos, I am constantly told that the computer isn't able to reach my device. (Screenshot below) However, before I click import at the top right and select my iPad, I get a little pop up when I connect the cable to ask whether I want to allow file sharing. I always click allow, however it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have tried unplugging and reinserting in the cable, but it still can't seem to find my files.

I have also tried following a tutorial to see if I was doing it wrong, but they didn't seem to have this problem. Nor did the people in the comments. Is there a certain setting I need to change on either device, or is it just not possible for me to transfer them from one device to the other?

User's image

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Hendrix-V 19,650 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-04-18T03:56:38.6233333+00:00

Hi Jasmine,

Thank you for reaching out regarding the issue with importing photos from your iPad to your Windows laptop.

This situation can occur when the connection between the iPad and Windows does not fully establish the required trust, driver, or file‑transfer settings during the import process.

Please ensure the iPad is Unlocked & Trusted

  • Connect the iPad using a USB cable and keep the device unlocked.
  • Tap Trust This Computer if prompted.

You can consider trying these checking steps:

1, Change Photo Transfer Setting on iPad

  • Go to Settings > Photos > Transfer to Mac or PC
  • Select "Keep Originals"

2, Update the Apple iPad Driver

  • Open Device Manager
  • Expand Portable Devices
  • Right‑click Apple iPad > Update driver
  • Select Browse my computer for drivers > Let me pick > USB MTP Device

Some workarounds if USB import still fails:

  • Upload photos to iCloud and download on the laptop.
  • Or install OneDrive on iPad > enable Camera Upload > access via OneDrive on Windows.

Let me know if you need further assistance, feel free to ask me by clicking "Add Comment" or "Add Answer" if you cannot add comment so your response will be visible. Thanks for your effort.


Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-04-17T10:25:58.1733333+00:00

    Use the standard USB import flow and verify the iPad’s trust/permissions, then consider alternatives if iCloud is involved.

    1. Connect the iPad with a USB cable that supports data transfer (not charge‑only).
    2. Unlock the iPad. The PC cannot see the device if it is locked.
    3. On the iPad, when prompted, select Trust (or Allow) for the computer.
    4. On the Windows 11 PC, open Start > Photos to launch the Microsoft Photos app.
    5. In Photos, select Import and then select the connected device (the iPad), and follow the prompts to choose items and a save location.

    If Photos still reports that it cannot reach the device:

    • Try a different USB cable and/or USB port. Not all cables can transfer files, and faulty or charge‑only cables can cause exactly this behavior.
    • Confirm that the iPad remains unlocked and awake during detection and import.

    If iCloud Photos is enabled on the iPad:

    • Photos or videos that exist only in iCloud (and not stored locally on the iPad) cannot be imported directly over USB. To import those items on the PC, use iCloud for Windows and download them there instead.

    As an alternative to using the Photos app, on Windows 11 the Phone Link/Photos experience is moving into File Explorer:

    1. On the PC, go to Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Mobile devices > Manage mobile devices and turn on Show mobile device in File Explorer.
    2. Open File Explorer and, in the left pane, select the mobile device.
    3. Browse to the Camera (or other) folder and copy/paste or drag‑and‑drop the photos and videos to a folder on the PC.

    Note: Files accessed this way are online‑only on the device; deleting them from File Explorer will permanently delete them from the iPad, so copy them to the PC first if they need to be kept.

    If the Photos app shows errors opening certain imported files (for example HEIF/HEVC from iOS), install the HEIF Image Extensions and HEVC Video Extensions from Microsoft Store, or re‑import/email the files in a more common format as described in the Photos app error guidance.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.