C: drive not accessible

Navansh Bansal 0 Reputation points
2026-03-14T09:52:12.8333333+00:00

After the today's security update KB:5079473 my PC has been acting up. I have lost access to my C: drive, I am not able to use any task manager or even uninstall this trash update. I did windows repair as well nothing worked. I tried signing in with the administrator account but even with that I can't access the C: drive. I am unable to type any command related to C: and also I tried the method related to the security tab in the properties of C:, but it is not even giving me the read permission, let alone to edit it. How to fix this.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. John DeV 170.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-03-14T11:03:53.7933333+00:00

    Great, I am happy that worked. Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

    You're most welcome and have a great weekend.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. John DeV 170.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-03-14T10:33:42.12+00:00

    Hi, good day!

    Please try this if it helps.

    Make sure you sign-in using a Windows account with Administrator privileges

    Open File Explorer > Right click on C: drive

    Select Properties > Security > Advanced > Change

    On the text box, type Everyone

    Click Check Names

    Tick the option to replace the owner on subcontainers and objects

    Click Change and type and select the "Everyone" option again

    Click OK and Apply

    When prompted for any warning messages, just click Enter to continue with the process until the full scan of your C drive is complete

    Once finish, restart your computer

    Delete any files from the recycle bin if prompted.

    I look forward to receiving your update and I'm willing to collaborate with you till we resolve the issue. Do keep me informed by clicking "Add comment" below.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.