Keyboard backlight is not a Windows feature, but a hardware/firmware feature, and the instructions differ depending on brands and models.
What's the brand and model of your computer?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello, I have a Microsoft Window 11 Pro and I would like to see how can I get the blacklight mode on for my laptop? Online it says it does, but all my F Keys do not work.
Keyboard backlight is not a Windows feature, but a hardware/firmware feature, and the instructions differ depending on brands and models.
What's the brand and model of your computer?
Dear Summer Elkins,
Thank you for your question and for sharing the details into Microsoft Q&A Forum.
I understand how inconvenient this can be, especially when you need to type in low-light conditions and the keyboard backlight toggle is not responding. At this point, I recommend that you review and try the steps provided in both the AI generated answer and the Independent Advisor’s answer on your thread. Those replies typically include the most relevant checks for this scenario. To help narrow this down, could you please share a few details?
In the meantime, please try these basic steps:
While my initial response may not fully resolve the issue, I truly appreciate your cooperation as we work together toward identifying the most effective solution. Thank you so much for your understanding.
I hope the steps above help you enable the keyboard backlight on your Windows 11 Pro laptop. Wishing you a smooth experience getting the lighting working again so you can type comfortably in low-light settings and continue using your device without interruption.
If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".
Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.
AI answer
On many newer Surface devices and some other laptops, the keyboard backlight is controlled by one of the top-row function keys, and the Fn key may need to be toggled first.
If the device is not a Surface, the exact backlight key can differ by manufacturer; in that case, check the laptop’s support page for the specific backlight key and any required keyboard/firmware drivers.
References: