activate win 11 on my new pc (with win 8 retail copy)

steve au 40 Reputation points
2026-02-07T11:35:49.52+00:00

I have a win 8 home retail version previously . I have upgraded to win 10 in my old pc. I have thrown away my old pc. I think I used to log in via local drive and did not log in via Microsoft account. Now I have a new pc with win 11 home. How to port my win 8 retail version to my new pc with win 11.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Alexandr S 106.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-02-08T05:57:40.27+00:00

Unfortunately, it will also not be possible to transfer Windows 10 from the old PC to the new one, since the Windows 10 license obtained under the free upgrade promotion from 7/8/8.1 in 2015-16 is permanently assigned to the PC that participated in the promotion.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

Answer accepted by question author
Alexandr S 106.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-02-07T12:14:32.76+00:00

Hello, steve au.

Unfortunately, for a new PC, you need to purchase a separate license for the standalone (BOX or ESD) version of Windows 11 and perform a clean install with activation with the key from the license purchase kit. Microsoft has completely blocked the possibility of using keys from 7/8/8.1 to activate 10 and 11: https://devicepartner.microsoft.com/en-us/communications/comm-windows-ends-installation-path-for-free-windows-7-8-upgrade

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.