UNKNOWN Family Organizer: I AM AN ADULT, I CANNOT LEAVE

Kylie Reppert 0 Reputation points
2026-01-21T16:29:28.2666667+00:00

I have been trying to access websites for school and my personal account has been blocking certain websites saying that I am apart of a family group but I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS UNTIL THIS ISSUE CAME UP. there is a random email showing as my family organizer. i have tried to change my birhtday to be able to leave but that did not help. i am an adult and should not have had to change my birthday anyways. I am concerned that this was a security breach and I have no idea how this has happened. either way, I need this to be fixed in order to have security back and also be able to access websites i need to for university. Screenshot 2026-01-21 102529.png

AGAIN:

I DO NOT KNOW THIS PERSON, NEVER HAVE.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Microsoft Family Safety | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Katerina-N 9,305 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-01-21T22:31:10.47+00:00

    Hello Kylie Reppert,

    Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Q&A forum!

    I understand that you are having issue with Microsoft Family Safet. I truly understand how you feel. Let me assist you go through this situation.

    With your situation, I suggest you do these steps:

    1. Go to: https://account.microsoft.com/family
    2. Sign in with your Microsoft personal account (Outlook / Hotmail / Live).
    3. If you CANNOT leave the family or see an unknown Family Organizer > DO NOT try to fix yourself.
    4. Please contact Microsoft Support for the best assistance: https://support.microsoft.com/account-billing Choose: Microsoft account > Security > Family Safety > Chat with support
    5. You can copy & paste this message to support: "My Microsoft personal account was added to a Microsoft Family group without my consent. I am an adult and an unknown Family Organizer is restricting website access. I cannot leave the family group myself. This is an unauthorized Family Safety association and a security issue. Please remove my account from the family group AND clear any child/dependent flags."
    6. Upload your screenshot when prompted.
    7. After Microsoft confirms removal:

    Please note that the chat support team only works during certain working hours. Therefore, if the last window indicates that you are unavailable, try opening it again the next day. If you prefer phone support, you can leave a phone number. That way, they can call you and help you.

    I hope this will help with your situation. Please feel free to reach back if you have further update or more questions.

    Best Regards,


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment”.   

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.