Outlook Classic not opening properly or recording sent mails after 2026-01 Security Update (KB5074109) (26200.7623)

Chris Seagrave 350 Reputation points
2026-01-14T12:20:57.8233333+00:00

Hi,

I installed in the Windows Security update (KB5074109) (26200.7623) on 14th January 2026 and following this update Outlook Classic has a couple of problems.

The first is that when I first start my laptop Outlook Classic opens, but when I close it down I am now unable able to open it again as Office tells me it is still open. I can go into Task Manager and close the Background Process relating to Outlook Classic which allows me to open Outlook Classic again, but this is not ideal as I would rather not do this. Alternatively I can restart my laptop and Outlook Classic will open, but if I close it down it won't re-open unless I either close the Outlook Background Process in Task Manager or restart the laptop.

The second issue is that I can send an email and it will be sent to the person I am sending the email to, but it doesn't show as being sent in the Sent Items folder, this is very strange, receiving emails is fine so far.

I have encountered this using a Yahoo Pop account, so I need some guidance on what I can do to resolve these issues in Outlook Classic?

Is there a specific fix in Outlook Classic or do I need to uninstall this (KB5074109) (26200.7623) update?

I can't seem to find a way of uninstalling update (KB5074109) (26200.7623), so may need some guidance here?

Many Thanks,

Chris

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

Answer accepted by question author
Suncoast Information Systems 315 Reputation points
2026-01-15T14:58:38.0166667+00:00

Uninstalling KB5074109 worked for us on several PCs

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
Answer recommended by moderator
Hornblower409 16,050 Reputation points
2026-01-25T03:29:40.27+00:00

January 24, 2026 - KB5078127 (OS Builds 26200.7628 and 26100.7628) Out-of-band
Fix for Outlook/OneDrive Issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/january-24-2026-kb5078127-os-builds-26200-7628-and-26100-7628-out-of-band-cf5777f6-bb4e-4adb-b9cd-2b64df577491

I have installed KB5078127 and (so far) I am not seeing any problems.

Just resume your Windows Updates, check for updates, and it should offer you KB5078127.

As I understand it, you do not need to re-install KB5074109 if you previously removed it.

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.

13 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. MartMcd 2,670 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-02-08T16:10:09.12+00:00

    This thread has become to big to be of effective help. and is in danger of diverging from the original question
    Thank you all for your contributions, especially Hornblower409, I am going to lock this thread.

    If you are having similar problems please start a new thread by clicking on Ask a Question

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Taner Özkurtoğlu 0 Reputation points
    2026-02-07T08:49:35.5333333+00:00

    After fighting two long days for suddenly broken outlook classic (stopping working and getting into continuous "not responding" mode shortly after opening the application) working under Windows 11, I finally managed to fix it by uninstalling a feature update labelled KB5054156 dated 18.01.2026. Now outlook works perfectly as before.

    Was this answer helpful?

  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more