How do I change the verification phone number on a locked out microsoft account, as I don't have that number anymore?

HANCOCK, K 25 Reputation points
2026-01-02T20:32:40.52+00:00

I still have access to this outlook account on my phone but I have forgotten my password. It is now locked because of multiple failed attempts. My phone number to get the verification code sent to me is very old and I have not had that number for years. My requests to have it unlocked are being rejected. This is a very old account and hard to remember details I would of had for this account. I bought my son a new laptop and put parental access on it. It is now locked because I can't give permission for him to use it until I can have the ability to sign in. Any advice to change my verification phone number or even add a verification email/number would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Marcelo Mendoza 10,750 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-01-02T22:14:47.3933333+00:00

Hello Hancock,

When reaching out to Microsoft Support the most reliable way to get in touch is by starting at Microsoft’s official Contact Us page, which is designed to guide you through selecting the product you need help with and then offering available support options including live chat with a Microsoft specialist when eligible. Since you’re having trouble signing in and the recovery form has already been denied multiple times you can go to that same page and choose the “Can’t sign in” path, which is specifically meant for situations where normal recovery routes aren’t working or when clicking other support links leads to errors. Once you’re there Microsoft will first show self‑help steps, but additional help becomes available afterward including ways to reach an actual support agent. If the recovery form continues to fail, Microsoft’s guidance explains that support agents cannot reset passwords for you but the Contact Us workflow is still the correct route for escalating sign‑in issues when the usual tools don’t work.

Best regards,

Marcelo

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Marcelo Mendoza 10,750 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-01-02T21:14:24.5866667+00:00

    Hello Hancock,

    I appreciate you reaching out and I understand how frustrating it can be to get locked out of an old Microsoft account especially when the verification number is outdated and you need access to manage your child’s device. It’s a common situation and it happens because Microsoft requires verification through the security information currently on file to make sure the account stays protected.

    Since the phone number on the account is no longer accessible the first step is to try the Microsoft account recovery page and provide as much accurate information as you can. This process is designed to help recover accounts when passwords are forgotten or verification details are outdated. If the system isn’t able to verify the details entered the next option is to contact Microsoft Support directly so they can guide you through additional identity checks that aren’t available through the automated form. Once you regain access you can update your security info by signing in and adding a new phone number or email on the Security settings page.

    To help move forward can you still access any backup verification options on the account such as an alternate email or authenticator app on the device where the Outlook app is signed in

    I hope this answer is helpful if you have further questions feel free to reply back

    Regards,

    Marcelo

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.