Problem updating to Windows 11 Insider Preview Feature Update (28020.1362)

Astro drone 20 Reputation points
2025-12-29T23:59:41.8633333+00:00

I'm trying to update to Windows 11 Insider Preview Feature Update (28020.1362), but I always end up with Install error - 0xc1900204. I'm on Windows 11 Home. 25H2. OS Build 26200.7309. Has anyone else had this problem? I've been trying to update for a while now, but when its installing I always end up with Install error - 0xc1900204. I have a AMD Ryzen 5 5500 at 3.60 GHz, 16GB of RAM at a speed on 3200 MT/s, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050, and about 500GB of storage. I know its not storage because I have 103GB of storage left. I am not sure if my specs change anything, but its better to check. If anyone knows how to help, PLEASE DO!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182.4K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-12-31T04:04:19.1366667+00:00

The Program Files directory has been relocated to the E: drive. It causes a problem during the setup.

Please change it back to the C drive using the registry.

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/setup-error-0xc1900204-program-files/

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. SUNOJ KUMAR YELURU 18,741 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2025-12-30T07:33:53.0433333+00:00

    Hello @Astro drone,

    Thanks for using Q and A forum.

    Check with the below Solutions:

    Solution 1: (most successful): Reset Windows Update completely

    Open Command Prompt as Administrator, then run exactly this:

    net stop wuauserv

    net stop cryptSvc

    net stop bits

    net stop msiserver

    ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

    ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

    net start wuauserv

    net start cryptSvc

    net start bits

    net start msiserver

    Then:

    Reboot

    Try Windows Update again

    This alone fixes most 0xC1900204 cases.

    Solution 2: Repair system image (important for Insider builds)

    Still failing? Run these in order, Admin CMD:

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    sfc /scannow

    Reboot after both complete, even if no errors are shown.

    Solution 3: Re-register the Insider Program (very common fix)

    This error often means your Insider enrollment metadata is broken.

    Steps:

    Go to Windows Insider Program

    Click Stop getting preview builds

    Reboot

    Rejoin the Insider Program

    Select the same channel again

    Reboot

    Try the update

    This refreshes the backend registration with Microsoft.


    If the Answer is helpful, please click Accept Answer and Up-Vote 👍, so that this can be beneficial to other community members. User's image

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.