I can’t login into Microsoft or Minecraft in my main account because I don’t have a security key

Helena Ferreira 5 Reputation points
2025-12-17T13:11:57.5766667+00:00

I can’t log into my Minecraft account nor Microsoft because they ask for an USB security key and I don’t have one and never had, and when I try to use my password (which I know) to login, I receive a message telling me to try using another device or try again later. This has been happening for more than a week and i’ve tried everything. I already tried disabling security key on the computer settings, tried setting up a Pin but it still asks me to insert the usb security key and I don’t have one, and it won’t let me use my password. Please help


Moved from: Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Harold Milan 17,605 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-12-17T15:36:01.3366667+00:00

    Hi,

    Your Microsoft account is locked in security key-only mode, which means the system won’t accept your password because it expects a FIDO2 USB key. This usually happens if passwordless sign-in or a security key was added to your account settings.

    The fix is to recover your account using backup verification (email, SMS, or recovery codes) via Microsoft Account Recovery, then remove the security key from your Security Info page and add alternative methods like Authenticator or SMS.

    If recovery options aren’t available, you’ll need to contact Microsoft Support for identity verification so they can reset your sign-in methods.

     I hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.