My Microsoft Word keeps glitching and does not allow me to choose my Headings

2025-11-23T13:37:20.22+00:00

Just title suggest, As for the issue with the Heading you can see the video here [Moderator note: personal info removed]

Additionally, these alphabets randomly popped up whenever I change from another application. I tried Alt key but it will happen again whenever I change from another application.

User's image

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For education | Windows

Answer accepted by question author
Alina-Le 6,400 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2025-11-23T14:20:04.59+00:00

"To protect your data, please avoid sharing personal or company details, as the forum is public. Thank you for your understanding!"

Hello @SITI AISYAH ROSTAM KHAN @ ROSTOM KHAN

Welcome to Q&A forum!

In this case, you are encoutering two concern:

  • Heading Selection Glitch in Microsoft Word
  • Random Alphabet Pop-Ups When Switching Applications

To ensure I fully understand the issue you’re experiencing, I’d like to confirm a few details:

1/ Could you still access Microsoft Word via the web version Word?

2/ How long has this issue been occurring on your end?

Please double-check to see if you can use it as a workaround during troubleshooting this issue.

Additionally, I would like to provide some troubleshooting steps to help you verify this issue:

1. Launch Excel in Safe Mode

Starts Outlook without any add-ins or custom settings that might be causing problems.

  • Press "Windows + R".
  • For Word: Type "winword /safe", and click OK.
  • Try logging in again.

Open Office apps in safe mode on a Windows PC - Microsoft Support

2. Update your Microsoft Word

File -> Account -> Update Options

User's image User's image

User's image

3/ Repair Office application

Please refer this article and my below image to do it:

Repair an Office application - Microsoft Support

  • "Settings" -> "Apps" -> "Installed apps"-> "Select the Microsoft 365 or Office product" you want to repair, click the ellipses, and select "Modify".
  • Click Yes and choose "Online repair" 

User's image User's image undefined

Looking forward to hearing from you!


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".

Note: Please follow the steps in "our documentation" to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

Answer recommended by moderator
SITI AISYAH ROSTAM KHAN @ ROSTOM KHAN 25 Reputation points
2025-11-23T14:28:42.4333333+00:00

1/ Could you still access Microsoft Word via the web version of Word?

  • Yes

2/ How long has this issue been occurring on your end?

  • For about 2 weeks

Also, it appears that I have solved the issue. It was caused by Discord Overlay. Once I removed Word from Discord's "Registred Games" and restarted Word, the issue seems to have been fixed. Regardless, thank you for your answer, I will know what to do next time it happens again :)

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.