I keep getting this error, You've tried to sign in too many times with an incorrect account or password.

Melissa Milani 10 Reputation points
2025-11-14T13:45:29.4133333+00:00

I keep changing my password and I cannot log into my Hotmail account. I keep getting this error, You've tried to sign in too many times with an incorrect account or password.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. David 0 Reputation points
    2026-04-21T01:58:22.6033333+00:00

    I've had the same issue for the past week. I've gone through every iteration of help looking for answers and there are none. If their fixes don't work there is no other help available. I've tried to contact support but keep getting bounced back to articles in help. Forums just spew out the same info as help. My suggestion is to create an alias in your email and then make it the primary thereby making the old email an alias. I don't know if this works as I haven't tried it yet. Unless you can actually get someone to give you an actual way to contact support (highly unlikely), I don't see a way to correct this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
  2. Anonymous
    2025-11-14T14:19:54.6033333+00:00

    Hi,

    I understand how inconvenient that can be when you just want to access your email.

    What’s happening is that Microsoft temporarily locks sign-in after too many incorrect attempts, even if you’ve changed your password.

    This is a security measure to protect your account from unauthorized access.

    The best first step is to wait for the lockout period to clear, which can range from 15 minutes up to 24 hours.

    In the meantime, make sure you’re using the correct email address, and try signing in from a private browser window or after clearing your cache.

    If you haven’t already, reset your password through the official recovery page and avoid reusing old passwords.

    Once you’re able to log in, I recommend checking your account security settings and enabling two-step verification.

    Just to confirm, are you trying to sign in through a web browser, the Outlook app, or another device?

    Regards,

    Aron

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. AI answer

    2025-11-14T13:45:49.4866667+00:00

    If you are receiving the error message stating that you've tried to sign in too many times with an incorrect account or password, it is likely that your account has been temporarily locked due to multiple failed login attempts. Here are some steps you can take to resolve the issue:

    1. Wait for a while: Sometimes, accounts are temporarily locked for a short period. Wait for about 15 minutes and then try signing in again.
    2. Check your credentials: Ensure that you are entering the correct email address and password. If you are unsure about your password, you may need to reset it.
    3. Reset your password: If you keep having trouble logging in, consider resetting your password. Follow the instructions provided by Microsoft for password recovery.
    4. Contact support: If you are still unable to access your account after resetting your password and waiting, you may need to contact Microsoft support for further assistance.

    Make sure to check if your account is activated and that there are no issues with your Microsoft account.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?