What replaces Publisher?

Elizabeth Benn 110 Reputation points
2025-10-31T19:26:26.6766667+00:00

What am I supposed to use when Publisher is discontinued? I have hundreds of files in Published and the only help I can find is to convert them all to .pdf format. Then what?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Publisher | For home

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
ROBERT LOWE SR 90 Reputation points
2025-11-04T19:43:11.6033333+00:00

I have used Publisher for over 30 years and have initiated use of this application in my various companies. Because Microsoft has decided to "retire" Publisher without providing a valid and useful replacement, I am searching for a replacement for Office and I am recommending that my company switch to a new application package as soon as possible.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
Answer accepted by question author
Thomas4-N 22,380 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2025-11-01T10:41:16.66+00:00

Hello Elizabeth Benn, welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum.

Microsoft has announced that Publisher will be retired after October 2026. There isn’t a direct replacement from Microsoft, but they recommend using Word, PowerPoint, or Microsoft Designer for most layout and design tasks going forward. These tools cover common scenarios like brochures, flyers, and simple marketing materials.

Publisher will remain available in Office 2021 and older perpetual-license versions even after October 2026, but these versions will not receive updates or new features.

Some users in the community have mentioned Affinity by Canva as an option for those who need advanced publishing features beyond what Word or PowerPoint provide. This is not a Microsoft product, and it sits outside the Microsoft ecosystem, so whether to explore it depends on your specific requirements.

See: https://windowsforum.com/threads/microsoft-publisher-deprecation-top-alternatives-for-desktop-publishing-in-2025.372469/

Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate and safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

If you have existing .pub files, it’s a good idea to convert them before support ends.


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".  

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.

3 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Nan Nawrocki 0 Reputation points
    2026-04-29T12:36:34.5+00:00

    Among other things I use Publisher to create multi page programs for theater events. Consistency of appearance is one of the reason I use Publisher. We also have many sponsors, each with their own artwork to include in the publication.

    I can’t see how a pdf will handle all this. I am very unhappy with Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
  2. Gina Lyell 10 Reputation points
    2026-01-07T01:28:49.3966667+00:00

    This is also very devasting to my business. I literally have thousands of Publisher templates! The other microsoft apps that have been suggested simply don't cut it - I tried before I selected publisher to use in my business over 6 years ago.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
  3. Jan Ruth 0 Reputation points
    2026-02-14T11:05:44.66+00:00

    Is there an easy way to convert my stored Publisher documents to, say, PDF? And, is this a viable way to save my Publisher files?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.