Laptop keeps on randomly green screening or shutting off

Anshdeep Thind 20 Reputation points
2025-10-29T09:10:58.7733333+00:00

I’ve been having some major issues with my Dell Inspiron 15 3515 (Windows 11 Home) lately. The laptop randomly green screens and then shuts off completely. Sometimes it restarts normally, but other times it goes straight into Windows Recovery mode.

Even worse, there are times when it doesn’t turn on at all (no fan, no Dell logo, nothing) or it turns on but the screen stays completely black, even though the power light is on. I have to hold the power button for a long time to force it off and try again multiple times before it finally boots properly.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

  • Fully updated Windows 11
  • Updated all drivers and BIOS through Dell SupportAssist
  • Reinstalled the AMD Radeon graphics driver
  • Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic (no errors)

Despite all that, it still randomly green screens, shuts down, goes into recovery mode, or just refuses to power on properly.

Could this be a hardware issue (motherboard, RAM, or SSD), or is Windows possibly corrupted? It’s getting really unreliable, and I’m worried it might eventually stop turning on altogether.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Ivan B 125K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-10-29T09:48:38.54+00:00

Hi ,

This is definitely a hardware failure, either with the motherboard or the internal video cable. I've seen this problem in Dell Latitude models, among others. I recommend backing up your files and contacting the warranty service, especially if the device shuts down and the screen fails to start or turns off unexpectedly.

Give feedback if the information was useful or not.

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ivan B 125K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-10-29T09:59:23.0666667+00:00

    Hi,

    I understand, I'm sorry. You can always count on the Microsoft Q&A community, and have a good week.

    Give feedback if the information was useful or not.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.