Windows is asking for a security key when I don't have one and Using Microsoft Windows_Not Chrome.

TalismanSkulls 11 Reputation points
2025-10-25T08:56:23.45+00:00

I Want to Change My Password so I DONT get locked OUT of my Account YET AGAIN! I keep getting asked for a passkey which I DO NOT HAVE and its not giving me an OPTION to Create One. Don't tell me its a Chrome or Firefox or other issue. This is DIRECT From Microsoft services through Microsoft software. LET ME CHANGE MY PASSOWRD!

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Kal-D 7,375 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2025-10-26T15:40:02.4966667+00:00

    Dear TalismanSkulls,

    Welcome to Microsoft Q&A Forum.

    I understand that's an incredibly frustrating situation. Let's get you back into your account and update your settings to prevent this.

    Follow these steps in order:

    1. Go Directly to the Password Reset Page: Open any browser and go to: https://account.live.com/resetpassword.aspx
    2. Select "I forgot my password." Enter your email address. You will be guided through account recovery using your recovery email or phone number. This is the fastest way to bypass the passkey prompt.
    3. If That Doesn't Work, Use a "Clean" Browser:
      • Open an Incognito (Chrome) or Private (Firefox) window.
      • Go to the same password reset link from Step 1 and try again. This often bypasses the cached prompt.

    Once you are back into your account, do this to prevent it from happening again:

    • Go to your Microsoft account security settings: https://account.microsoft.com/security
    • Review and update your Security info (phone/email). This is your lifeline.
    • In Advanced security options, you can manage or remove any unwanted passkeys.

    Please let me know how these suggestions work for you or if you require further assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments