How to fix ESU error "We can’t enroll you in Extended Security Updates right now" when trying to enroll?

Eri 65 Reputation points
2025-10-08T01:44:27.89+00:00

I'm trying to enroll to ESU (Extended Security Updates) as the updates are ending and I cant yet update to Windows 11 because its not available even though my PC meets the requirements. The process is very straight-forward, I click "enroll now" on the windows updates page and go through the process until the last page where I get told I'm eligible (first image attached), I click "Enroll" and after I do I get redirected to a page with the title "Something went wrong" and alongside that "We can’t enroll you in Extended Security Updates right now" (second image attached). This happens regardless of when or how many times I try. I've tried going through live support, but after a 30 minute wait, all I got told was to post on the forums. So here I am, with windows 10 updates ending and not being able to update to windows 11, it feels a bit more urgent. Any help appreciated.Capture2

Capture1

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

15 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Vlan6134-7019 0 Reputation points
    2025-10-15T15:30:27.6966667+00:00

    I had the same problem as the OP (exactly the same screenshots) but I used a different solution to that of the other suggestions. 

    My FIREWALL was to blame. I have TinyWall firewall and I changed Mode from Normal to Allow Outgoing. Then I tried Enroling again and it worked! Very pleased as this has caused a lot of stress overall! 

    Hope this information helps others and thanks to all the comments on here!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. MadWolf 0 Reputation points
    2025-10-15T16:49:03.01+00:00

    In case of two different computers that I now managed to fix this on, the problem was that I had installed Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Education versions. I upgraded both to Windows 10 Pro, and that fixed the problem. Hopefully that works for you. If the ESU option doesn't show up, go to Registry Editor as Admin and find this location

    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\ConsumerESU

    Change the ESUEligibility value to 2.

    Change the ESUEligibilityResult value to 1.

    Close the settings app, and reopen it, and go to Windows Update again. Now the ESU option should have appeared again (this disappears every time you reboot the PC, so you have to go into the registry every time after rebooting). I then clicked the prompts and managed to get all the way to joining the ESU program.

    So your problem is likely the Windows version you have, which for some reason cannot get enrolled in ESU.

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Roger Keay 5 Reputation points
    2025-10-15T20:37:02.3866667+00:00

    To Donna Hilbert and anyone else having that problem, this might be your issue. I just went through the ESU hell and did all the registry hacks to no avail. I also downloaded a script on GitHub and ran that with no joy. However, it DID report that my device was INELIGIBLE because it was a COMMERCIAL_DEVICE. After messing around and looking through many documents, I found what my problem was. I have a small home network running Active Directory. I found a page that enumerated that scenario as ineligible. Actually, if any machine is part of an Active Directory network it is considered a COMMERCIAL_DEVICE and be marked as INELIGIBLE.

    Here's what I did to fix my issue. It's messy but works.

    I went to this url, "https://github.com/abbodi1406/ConsumerESU". This page has a zip file of scripts and directions as to how to use the scripts. Once there I clicked on the "Code" button and downloaded the zip to a directory on my C drive in a new folder I named ESUFix. I extracted the zip file to that folder. I then made sure I was logged into my Microsoft account as an administrator and then logged in as an Administrator on my machine. Then I opened the Command Prompt window running as an Administrator and nav'd to the ESUFix folder. Then I ran the script. That's when it came back with the info my device was INELIGIBLE, and it was a COMMERCIAL_DEVICE. That's when I went looking for more info and found that it won't work on any machines that are part of an Active Directory Domain. So, I removed my machine from my Active Directory and joined the WORKGROUP default. I logged in with a WORKGROUP Administrator account I had, opened cmd as an Administrator, nav'd to the ESUFix directory and ran the script and it finally worked. After that I went to the Update & Security Settings and there it showed I had enrolled. Then I checked a few of my other WORKGROUP accounts and they showed the same thing.

    The big caveat with this scenario is that I have to be on the Active Directory Domain to utilize my pc effectively. I understand that Microsoft sends out their updates around the beginning of the month, on a monthly basis, so... Once a month I will have to jump out of the Domain into the WORKGROUP, manually search for updates and apply them, then jump back into the Domain. a PITA, but this is only a stopgap anyway. Until I can build my next machine and get my programs and data on the new machine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.

  5. Mitchell Spector 0 Reputation points
    2025-10-17T00:58:19.3433333+00:00

    I just ran into the same issue with my Dell XPS Core i5 mini-laptop. It's eligible for the Windows 11 upgrade, but I prefer to stay with Windows 10 for as long as possible.

    The solution, in my case, was to make sure there were no pending updates. Sure enough, there were, and downloading, installing and restarting fixed the problem! My laptop is now covered for another year. It's the most basic step, and something I would've suggested back when I was a Microsoft PSS employee (wish I still were, I miss being a part of Microsoft).

    For anyone reading this in future, follow these simply steps:

    • Click on the 'Start' button, choose "Settings" (gear icon)
    • Look for "Update & Security" and select it
    • Under 'Windows Update', look for any pending update(s) listed
    • Click on "Download" on each update (particularly the October cumulative update!)
    • Wait and allow it to automatically download and install each (make sure you're connected!)
    • Restart Windows 10
    • Try re-adding your device for Extended Security Updates, it should work (if you meet qualifications)

    On a side note, I've just noticed after applying the ESU it's claiming my laptop now does not meet the minimum system requirements for Windows 11 (odd, this wasn't the case earlier). Were the qualifications broadened in the last few weeks? Regardless, don't let this deter you from getting extended support, it is highly recommended if you want to keep your system secure.

    Hopefully this works for most people (again, it's a very basic step, but one often overlooked).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.