Problem with in-place upgrade from Windows Server 2019 to 2022

TomaszW-0873 156 Reputation points
2021-09-18T19:12:09.42+00:00

I have an issue when I try to do an in-place upgrade from Windows Server 2019 to Windows Server 2022. Installation itself starts, run okay but after restarting, system reverts to older version of Windows and I got the following errors:

0x800F081E-0x2003
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_UPDATES operation

Windows for business | Windows Server | User experience | Other

23 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. DS 31 Reputation points
    2022-12-08T14:57:03.91+00:00

    2021 ISO also worked for me, disabled online updates, didnt change anything else. Worked the first time no drama. Everything was perfect after the upgrade. Saved me hours of work. Thanks to everyone who commented.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. DavidYorkshire 91 Reputation points
    2023-01-10T16:39:50.43+00:00

    I've had this issue a couple of times - first a few months back on a fileserver, but as the configuration was fairly simple I just clean installed it,leaving the data drive intact, then set up the share permissions again afterwards. Since then I've upgraded several servers with no issues but had the same problem today, with a management VM which has a lot of stuff installed and I didn't want to have to clean install it. The suggestion above to turn off updates at the beginning of the installer worked - thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Brian Hoyt 111 Reputation points
    2023-03-16T16:09:46.02+00:00

    The final answer for me was an updated ISO. I was told by a MSFT person that this was a bug fixed in November update. I got the latest ISO (Feb 2023 at the time) and was able to do in place upgrade on all my remaining servers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  4. RedVision81 31 Reputation points
    2023-03-22T08:15:47.8033333+00:00

    Inplace Update with current Server2022 Iso (SW_DVD9_Win_Server_STD_CORE_2022_2108.18_64Bit_English_DC_STD_MLF_X23-37922) and Vmware Tools 12.1.5 worked without any issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  5. Anonymous
    2023-06-13T13:05:59.2433333+00:00

    Here we are in June and still having this problem. Where are you guys downloading the older ISOs?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.