Problem with in-place upgrade from Windows Server 2019 to 2022

TomaszW-0873 156 Reputation points
2021-09-18T19:12:09.42+00:00

I have an issue when I try to do an in-place upgrade from Windows Server 2019 to Windows Server 2022. Installation itself starts, run okay but after restarting, system reverts to older version of Windows and I got the following errors:

0x800F081E-0x2003
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_UPDATES operation

Windows for business | Windows Server | User experience | Other

23 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Val 1 Reputation point
    2022-08-01T21:49:13.21+00:00

    Removing the computer from the domain may help.
    Make sure you have local admin credentials.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Alec Garcia 46 Reputation points
    2022-08-03T04:58:31.117+00:00

    I have been running into the same thing with most of my Windows Servers I have tried to upgrade. I tried just about everything else everyone mentioned. I finally tried using the original ISO form Microsoft and not the latest updated one they have. Seems to be working fine now for in place upgrade. Just have to do more windows updates afterwards.
    SW_DVD9_Win_Server_STD_CORE_2022__64Bit_English_DC_STD_MLF_X22-74290.ISO

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.

  3. Matt Starczak 1 Reputation point
    2022-10-10T03:02:38.027+00:00

    On Hosts running VMServer and ShadowProtect (backup solution)
    Increasing the number of processors to 2, and turning off Shadow Protect has worked reliably
    Once the upgrade is finished I turn Shadow Protect back on (deleting the chain first)
    I also was stupidly running the upgrade from a virtual disk mounted within the machine, switched to using the file attached to the virtual drive
    Currently I'm failing on HyperV but I'll see how it goes disabling the HyperV virtual adapter, in the end, I succeeded without doing this
    Free Space required 20gb
    2 Processors
    Deleted an old version of Microsoft Endpoint

    For HyperV, client I think has to be Gen2

    I failed several times on the most recent Server2022 Iso, but just had success with the August 2021 iso

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. RedVision81 31 Reputation points
    2022-10-26T11:31:10.683+00:00

    after spending days and a lot of try and error, in our Environment (VMware) the following method was finally successful
    Our VMs are all equiped with VMware Paravirtual Controller and vmnext3 Network Controller.

    • When using VMware Tools 12.0.5 or later, you need to downgrade the Paravirtual Controller Driver below 1.3.25.0 (as suggested in Vmware KB https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/89290)
    • usual downgrade/installing older driver vom cd/iso via device manager is enough, no need to delete/remove drivers via command line - reboot the machine
    • upload Server 2022 August 2021 iso to vmware content library (current iso 2108.13 is running into a blue screen)
    • login with local administrator !! not domain administrator
    • mount Server2022 Iso to VM and run the upgrade
    • don't use the download updates, driver and optional feature function !! use "not right now"
    • lean back and cross your fingers ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  5. Sasha ASD 6 Reputation points
    2022-10-26T18:28:24.833+00:00

    Using ISO from Aug. 2021 was the solution for me.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.