Problem with in-place upgrade from Windows Server 2019 to 2022

TomaszW-0873 156 Reputation points
2021-09-18T19:12:09.42+00:00

I have an issue when I try to do an in-place upgrade from Windows Server 2019 to Windows Server 2022. Installation itself starts, run okay but after restarting, system reverts to older version of Windows and I got the following errors:

0x800F081E-0x2003
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_UPDATES operation

Windows for business | Windows Server | User experience | Other

23 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. MaximillianC 101 Reputation points
    2022-05-14T21:36:04.553+00:00

    It sounds like @Mike-2930 's answer would have worked for me too, but I ended up doing a similar-but-different thing to fix this same issue, because, unfortunately, I thought the answer at the top (which basically said "don't do upgrades") was the "accepted answer", and initially didn't scroll down and see the other more-helpful responses. For others who may encounter this issue, I hope this info helps you solve it quicker than me. Hopefully people vote up mine and/or @Mike-2930 's responses to push them above the less-helpful one that's currently "above the fold"

    0x800F081E ("CBS E NOT APPLICABLE") is a Windows Update/DISM error that means an update was attempted to be installed that is not relevant/applicable to your system. I searched for 0x800F081E in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log (upgrade logs explained here), and found the following:

    2022-05-14 03:45:20, Error SP CAddCbsPackage::DoExecute: Failed to add package Add [2] package C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\DUImageSandboxMicrosoft-Windows-RasCMAK-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~.cab to C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\NewOS. Error: 0x800F081E

    In my case, I had the RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit Windows component (that's what "RasCMAK" stands for) installed on our IIS Servers... so I went into Server Manager and uninstalled that component, then ran the upgrade again. The upgrade then completed successfully.

    Again, @Mike-2930 's solution probably would've probably worked for me too, if I'd seen it the first time I found this thread, but my alternative solution above may be preferred for some, as it allows you to still updates as part of the upgrade process, reducing or eliminating the patching required after the upgrade completes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.

  2. Steve 1 Reputation point
    2022-04-04T16:01:28.49+00:00

    I have the exact same issue / error has @Mike-2930 but ticking Not Right Now on the update during the setup does not resolve the issue and the upgrade fails.

    I don't have CMAK (RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit) installed on the server and I've also tried delating all of the profiles within the registry, except the local admin account that I'm using. No luck!

    Any one else have any other suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Mike-2930 86 Reputation points
    2021-10-29T19:44:15.03+00:00

    In my case this could be resolved by setting the setup procedure so as to not install any updates (click "Change how Setup downloads updates" in the initial panel, then select "Not right now").

    Elsewhere, others had suggested deleting all other user profile references under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList, but I did not try this (seemed too radical). But I did try installing as the local administrator rather than as the domain account, and that made no difference, it still failed. Disabling updates was the solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.

  4. Mike-2930 86 Reputation points
    2021-10-29T07:04:13.53+00:00

    The common element in this thread seems to be RRAS? Same here, simple 2019 VM with nothing else.

    setupact.log contains the following:

    2021-10-29 06:08:07, Error [0x08085f] MIG MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext: LoadLibraryExW(C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\ReplacementManifests\Microsoft-Windows-RasServer-MigPlugin\RasMigPlugin.dll, LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH) failed gle=0x7f.[gle=0x0000007f]
    2021-10-29 06:08:07, Info MIG MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext: File is present, most likely it does not load on the current OS version
    2021-10-29 06:08:07, Error [0x080863] MIG MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext() failed hr=0x8007007f.[gle=0x0000007f]
    ...
    2021-10-29 06:28:18, Error [0x08085f] MIG MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext: LoadLibraryExW(C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\ReplacementManifests\Microsoft-Windows-RasServer-MigPlugin\RasMigPlugin.dll, LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH) failed gle=0x7f.[gle=0x0000007f]
    2021-10-29 06:28:18, Info MIG MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext: File is present, most likely it does not load on the current OS version
    2021-10-29 06:28:18, Error [0x080863] MIG MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext() failed hr=0x8007007f.[gle=0x0000007f]

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  5. Ryan-www 1 Reputation point
    2021-09-28T17:21:07.08+00:00

    I just ran into the same error on a VM attempting to upgrade from 2019 to 2022. The VM only runs some basic routing and remote access roles and was created fairly recently.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.